Portland at Night

PNWPhotos.com a friendly and growing community of photographers with an interest in the Pacific Northwest region. We feature a Photography Discussion Forum and Pacific Northwest Photo Gallery. It's a fun and friendly place to talk with other photographers, ask questions, share you knowledge, view and post photos and more!

Mike-PDX

I had an opportunity to do some night shooting on the Portland waterfront Friday night. It was a chance to practice/improve my long exposure technique and try my hand at light painting. Here are some of the results. C&C encouraged!
Portland-1.jpg

'Tis the season to be Marri---ott
Portland-2.jpg

Portland-4.jpg

Portland-9.jpg

Portland-10.jpg

JLMCPICS

Mike, I like the first, fourth, and fifth shots really well, but I feel more cropping is needed on the fourth shot. The other two have too much extra background light. Maybe if the backgrounds were darker the colors of the lights would pop more.

Mike-PDX

Jan, thanks for the feedback. I modified the first one slightly to lighten up the foreground, bringing out more detail in the boats.
Portland-1.jpg

I'm not so happy with the light painting shots I tried. It will take a lot more practice, I think.
Portland-4.jpg

Plus here are a couple of additional shots from that shoot.
Portland-5.jpgPortland-6.jpgPortland-7.jpg

JDueckPhoto

I've been to that exact spot a couple times... good location

I really like your fourth photo. Good drama, positioning and exposure IMO.

JLMCPICS

Mike, I like the lightened up version of the first shot. I nearly missed the boats the first time I looked at the picture. I think it's a great addition to the foreground.

arlinescott

Super Moderator
Staff member
Christine, (and anyone else that would like to meet up), I am going downtown Centralia on Saturday night for some shooting. The window displays in all the antique shops are calling my name along with all the neon of the taverns and other downtown businesses on Tower Street. I really don't like to do the night stuff alone, so would you like to join me? I am thinking early dark, like around sundown at about 5:00pm for a couple of hours. That should be good for twilight and night shots. Hopefully the theater and all the murals will be lit as well.

Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website (Learn More Here)

PNWPhotos.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com