Tulips and snow geese

PNWPhotos.com a friendly and growing community of photographers with an interest in the Pacific Northwest region. We feature a Photography Discussion Forum and Pacific Northwest Photo Gallery. It's a fun and friendly place to talk with other photographers, ask questions, share you knowledge, view and post photos and more!

landscapes&birds

Today there were almost more people photographing these swans than there were at the tulip festival! By next week the tulips should be in full bloom. What a great day in the Skagit valley!

20150321-2R6A3048_export.jpg

Last edited:

Joemeche

Nice shot, love the colors!
And not to get all picky and everything, but those are swans in the background, most likely trumpeters.
:)

landscapes&birds

Thanks, Joe. I took another look, and I think you're right, those do look more like trumpeter swans. There was another field nearby where I saw snow geese, so I must have assumed these belonged with them without looking too closely. I'll post a photo of the geese after my lightroom backup is finished... :)

Last edited:

squirl033

Super Moderator
Staff member
Good shots. That first photo would have been a good candidate for the hyperfocal focusing technique we were discussing with my marsh photos.
http://www.pnwphotos.com/forum/showthread.php?8187-Parkscapes/page4

that photo was shot at 400mm, f/7.1 on a crop body. i don't know how far away the geese were, but if the focal point was, say, 75 yards away (i'm guessing the geese were at least that far), the DoF would be less than 30 feet, far less than needed to keep everything in focus. if it had been taken with a wide enough lens for hyperfocal focusing to make the whole scene clear, those geese would be tiny...

landscapes&birds

That was a good thought Bill, but I have to agree with Rocky's thinking on this one. The geese were too far and the tulip field too close for it to work with a 400mm lens on a crop body.

Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website (Learn More Here)

PNWPhotos.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com