Recent content by fiznatty

PNWPhotos.com a friendly and growing community of photographers with an interest in the Pacific Northwest region. We feature a Photography Discussion Forum and Pacific Northwest Photo Gallery. It's a fun and friendly place to talk with other photographers, ask questions, share you knowledge, view and post photos and more!

1. fiznatty

Comet Neowise Coming to You

I haven't left the city, so light pollution has been a challenge. But I did get it over Husky Stadium a couple nights ago. Max
  2. fiznatty

Yellowstone Winter 2020 Wolves

This pack has a tendency to use the roads more than other packs (they have one of the larger ranges and will sometimes travel over 30 miles in a couple days in winter), so they're more used to people. The alpha female is descended from another wolf (which I wrote about a few years back) that...
  3. fiznatty

Yellowstone Winter 2020 Wolves

I had four "good" wolf encounters in Yellowstone during my two week visit in January. Good being a baseline term... something I'd use if a wolf is anywhere within 200 yards or so. Three of the encounters, featuring the Wapiti Lake Pack, were actually pretty incredible. It was my best wolf trip...
  4. fiznatty

Yellowstone Winter 2020 Wildlife & Scenery

I'm publishing two galleries of images from my January Yellowstone adventure, which was the best winter trip I've ever taken to the park. The first gallery is comprised of all the non-wolf shots, including a few landscapes mixed in with all the animal content. You can see the full gallery of...
  5. fiznatty

Trying to See the World In Black and White

Thanks Bill. I enjoy playing with abstracts behind the lens, both in terms of composition and the occasional purposeful blur (I will share an example in my next Yellowstone post related to this trip). It can be fun seeing the results of experimentation in the field. Max
  6. fiznatty

Trying to See the World In Black and White

Sorry, not quite sure which forum category was most appropriate for this... I wrote a new article discussing my black and white photography, and how it has helped loosen me up and allowed me to explore my artistic side a bit more over the years. I used new monochrome images from my January...
  7. fiznatty

Manitoba 2020

Earlier this month I traveled to Manitoba in search of my first Canada lynx. Only three days on the ground, and only one of those (the coldest at -39C/-38F) was productive... but I found a cat! In total, we saw five lynx that day, but none of them posed for good photos. Got lucky with some nice...
  8. fiznatty

Lower Klamath Basin, February 2020

A couple weeks ago I went down to southern Oregon to participate in the 41st annual Winter Wings Festival. I gave a talk and led some field trips, so I didn't have too much time to take photos... but I snapped a few here and there. I've uploaded a small gallery on my website. A short preview is...
  9. fiznatty

Best of 2019

Here are a few of my favorite shots from the past twelve months. You can read more about them and see the rest here. Also, if you have a chance to check out the rest of my Year in Review content, I highly recommend seeing the post with some of my peers' favorite shots of the year. It's a nice...
  10. fiznatty

Great Bear Rainforest 2019

I finally got images from my last tour of the year online. In this case, it was my September Great Bear Rainforest tour. For those not familiar with the Great Bear, it's a region of coastal British Columbia that is most famous as the primary home of the spirit bear. But there are black bears...
  11. fiznatty

Tonga 2019

I thought I had shared these photos here, but I guess I forgot. In August, Jenn and I went to Tonga to swim with humpback whales. It's a trip I'd been planning for some time, but then was forced to reschedule from October because of the WPY stuff. The trip was a lot of fun, though going earlier...
  12. fiznatty

Natural History Museum Wildlife Photographer of the Year announcement

For those that are interested, I wrote two articles about the WPY win, the awards experience, and the photo itself: https://www.maxwaugh.com/2019/10/21/wildlife-photographer-of-the-year-behind-the-scenes/...
  13. fiznatty

Natural History Museum Wildlife Photographer of the Year announcement

Thank you, Bill. I've just returned home from London, which was a wonderful experience. I plan to share some thoughts on the Wildlife Photographer of the Year experience and the photo in my blog soon, so maybe I'll share links to those articles here. Max (And yes, I'm pretty sure I recognized...
  14. fiznatty

San Juan Foxes 2019

In June I led a couple of short photo trips to the San Juan Islands, where we photographed the resident red foxes (along with some other wildlife). It was incredibly fruitful, and in five days I ended up taking more photos than I've taken on any other trip other than Tanzania this year. The...
Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website (Learn More Here)

PNWPhotos.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

Back