Recent content by retief

PNWPhotos.com a friendly and growing community of photographers with an interest in the Pacific Northwest region. We feature a Photography Discussion Forum and Pacific Northwest Photo Gallery. It's a fun and friendly place to talk with other photographers, ask questions, share you knowledge, view and post photos and more!

1. R

Lions in Winter, Mountain that is! More from the Trip to Triple D

A few Mountain Lions, everything from the trip will show up in This Collection over time. These were shot on our one Sunny Afternoon. Let me know what you think, hope you enjoy these, I do ;) Some Reflections: #1: That You? #2: Sittin' Pretty #3: Majestic Lion...
  2. R

Snarls, Growls, Howls, Winter in Montana at the Triple D Game Farm

Thank you all, you are very kind. And yes, you do sign a waiver that if you become food, you don't get a refund, but you do get an even closer view of the animal ...... :eek: BobH, I sent you a PM with some info on how to GREATLY reduce the cost. I agree, the standard "day-rate" for...
  3. R

Snarls, Growls, Howls, Winter in Montana at the Triple D Game Farm

A smorgasbord of Snarls, Growls and Howls from our trip to Montana. Let me say that what these do not convey is the sound, and in some cases, such as the Snow Leopard, that sound was quite intimidating. Nancy asked if it was "communicating", the answer was "Yes, it is communicating that it is...
  4. R

Strange Trumpeter Swan

I suspect that by now the wording has changed a bit, the Swan is now trumpeting a different tune I am sure.
  5. R

Owl Season 2015

Have you heard the latest LEO report on Tweeters from Eide Road? King 5 was there a few days ago and in the report it says "as close as six feet", how brilliant. No comment if Paul B. was with them, so I would hope he was not. Things like this are what will continue to bring the crowds. One...
  6. R

Owl Season 2015

I have a 12,800 shot of a Short eared at Eide Road taken with a Nikon D810, 400mm + 1.7TC, handheld at 1/80 of a second. Want to see it? Wait a minute, the more I look at this I think this is the Long-eared owl! 1. No Crop, No Noise Reduction 2. Crop, No Noise Reduction 3. Crop...
  7. R

Owl Season 2015

Thank you very much. Prayer really helps in keeping them in focus ;), that is for sure. With each generation of camera the AF gets better, I shoot Nikon and what I find works best for me is to shoot in 9 or 21 pt, attempting to keep the center focus reticle on the bird. With older generations...
  8. R

Ridgefield NWR, this is the time to visit. (Jan 10, 2015)

Very nice indeed! I keep wanting to get down that way, but it just so far away. Have to leave a 4am to make dawn for crying out loud! But when I see these, well, just need to get my butt in gear. Bill, get one of those Google Autonomous cars!
  9. R

Cloudy day Short Eared owls, and a bonus for Bill Anderson ....

I have not posted here in quite some time, need to become more active again. First off, Bill A. commented in another thread about the Harrier and Short-ear interaction. This is from a couple of years ago, eventually the owl dropped it's meal. Now, these are from a cloudy day in...
  10. R

a few more from yesterday's trip up north...

Well done, the Eagles here are generally rather cooperative. The crowds have gotten a bit annoying over the last few years and the locals are getting a bit annoyed. Be sure to stay behind the white line off the road, there were some occasions last year where the local constabulary got involved...
  11. R

Stanwood Owls

Well done, Max! I love the Eide road area, will post a few of mine in a bit. Bill mentioned the Harriers and the Voles, I saw something at Eide a bit ago that was rather surprising, a Short-ear landed on the path right on a Vole, the Vole looked like it was playing dead. The owl poked it...
  12. R

Golden-crowned Kinglets

These are grand! I was watching the Long-eared owl up at Eide road the other day and one of these was flitting about feeding in the same stand of trees. I got a few shots, boy they are fast, that were nowhere near this nice. Had to talk to a birder to find out what it was. Well done!
  13. R

Owl Season 2015

Haven't posted here in quite some time, but I think it is time I got my tookus back in gear. I have not had the Long-ear out in the open nicely yet, but I did have one fly right in front of my nose pre-dawn one morning, scared the jeebies out of me. So, I'll have to make due with a couple of...
  14. R

hybrid

Strange things afoot in the night I think :D A couple of links on these: Manky Mallards Domestic, Feral, Manky Pretty interesting looking crossbreeds overall.
  15. R

Unexpected Surprise

This is tough, the coloration and striping on the front looks more Coopers to me, but the more-square tail looks more Sharp-shinned. Here is a Cornell Link on Sharp-Shinned/Coopers ID, you can see just how similar they are. Because of the tail I'd guess juvenile Sharp-shinned. That being...
Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website (Learn More Here)

PNWPhotos.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

Back