Birds of Edmonds, WA. 2020

PNWPhotos.com a friendly and growing community of photographers with an interest in the Pacific Northwest region. We feature a Photography Discussion Forum and Pacific Northwest Photo Gallery. It's a fun and friendly place to talk with other photographers, ask questions, share you knowledge, view and post photos and more!

Bill Anderson

Super Moderator
Staff member
Photo-Techno Geek Speak

As I mentioned, I dropped my camera and my 100-400L II telephoto zoom is out of commission until I can get it to the camera shop. Since I would have gotten little or nothing in trade-in for my original 100-400L, I kept it as a back-up when I purchased its succcesor.

Although I believe my "new" 100-400L II is superior, the original model is still a very good lens. For those on a budget (and who isn't?) wanting to acquire a Canon L series telephoto lens, I have seen used ones offered at Kenmore Camera in the $400 range. That is a fraction of the price of a new series II.

I think a 400mm lens is the minimum necessary for wildlife photography and the 100-400L is perfect for the "walk & stalk" method I enjoy. In that range I prefer a zoom lens over a prime as it gives me greater flexibility in composing shots.

I should add that Kenmore Camera has a very good price on a used 600mm telephoto lens if anyone wants to "go large". The down side is that a heavy duty tripod and mount will cost about the the same if you don't already have them in your arsenal.
https://kenmorecamera.com/product/169985/used-canon-ef-600mm-f4-l-is

Last edited:

Bill Anderson

Super Moderator
Staff member
I returned to the back deck in the afternoon to get some photos before it got too hot. My son dragged out the 600L telephoto lens + tripod for closer shots.

The Anna's hummer returned to her favorite perch.

06.jpg

Bewick's wrens enjoy this spot as well as my back fence.

07.jpg

08.jpg

09.jpg

10.jpg

Bill Anderson

Super Moderator
Staff member
The flicker spent time at the suet feeder without getting spooked.

11.jpg

12.jpg

13.jpg

14.jpg

Chestnut-backed chickadees flew in after the flicker departed.

15.jpg

Bill Anderson

Super Moderator
Staff member
Friday morning (8-7-2020) three band-tailed pigeons from the flock that roosts in my neighbor tree finally visited my seed feeders. I took some grab shots through the glass as I knew they would take off as soon as I opened the door. Shots of only one bird were remotely in focus.

IMG_0001.jpg

IMG_0002.jpg

The Anna's hummer stopped to drink at one of my feeders. I did not get any shots of her, but I probably will this winter when the feeder is her only source of food.

Bill Anderson

Super Moderator
Staff member
Saturday evening (8-8-2020) the female Anna's hummingbird perched at one of the feeders on my back deck long enough for me to get a shot of her.

IMG_0001.jpg

Bill Anderson

Super Moderator
Staff member
Wednesday (8-12-2020). More photos of the Anna's hummer. I have seen evidence that the rufous hummer is still in the area, such as two hummers chasing each other and one hummer strafing another.

IMG_0002.jpg

IMG_0003.jpg

IMG_0004.jpg

IMG_0005.jpg

IMG_0006.jpg

Last edited:

Bill Anderson

Super Moderator
Staff member
Lots of birds have been visiting the suet feeder that hangs from my back shed.

IMG_0001.jpg

IMG_0002.jpg

IMG_0003.jpg

IMG_0004.jpg

IMG_0005.jpg

The pairs of birds that visited my feeders this spring have returned en force with their offspring this summer.

Bill Anderson

Super Moderator
Staff member
This morning I saw three hummers chasing each other around a far tree while I was eating breakfast. Two of them later ganged up to chase off a finch size bird.

Bill Anderson

Super Moderator
Staff member
This morning I saw three hummers chasing each other around a far tree while I was eating breakfast.

Ditto for Wednesday morning (8-19-2020). I'll try to set up early Thursday morning so I can photograph them with the 6ooL telephoto lens. In the meantime, here are some hummer photos from later in the day.

A female Anna's checking out a ground plant near the seed feeders.

01.jpg

Looking into my back yard from a sentry tree in my neighbors' yard next to our shared fence.

02.jpg

Feeding on my neighbor's flowers.

03.jpg

04.jpg

Bill Anderson

Super Moderator
Staff member
Various birds at the seed feeders.

Dark-eyed junco.

01.jpg

Black-capped chickadee.

02.jpg

I filled one feeder with a nut mix. I thought the nuts might be too large for the smaller birds, but the chickadee had no problem with the peanuts.

03.jpg

I am guessing this is a fledgling male house finch that is starting to get its adult coloration.

04.jpg

Yellow-breasted nuthatches continue to visit the hanging suet feeder.

05.jpg

Last edited:

Bill Anderson

Super Moderator
Staff member
I was about to hang it up for the afternoon when a flock of bushtits flew in and briefly occupied the suet feeder.

IMG_0001.jpg

IMG_0002.jpg

IMG_0003.jpg

IMG_0004.jpg

Last bird standing.

IMG_0005.jpg

Bill Anderson

Super Moderator
Staff member
Thursday morning (8-20-2020) I heard a bird call that I could not ID but sounded familiar. It turned out to be that of a female hairy woodpecker. She could be one of the pair that nests in nearby Pine Ridge Park.

01.jpg

02.jpg

03.jpg

04.jpg

Terry O

Nice to see, Bill. Haven’t seen one here lately. Lots of flicker families, but no Downies or Hairies.

Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website (Learn More Here)

PNWPhotos.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com