Search results

PNWPhotos.com a friendly and growing community of photographers with an interest in the Pacific Northwest region. We feature a Photography Discussion Forum and Pacific Northwest Photo Gallery. It's a fun and friendly place to talk with other photographers, ask questions, share you knowledge, view and post photos and more!

1. Bill Anderson

Birds of Edmonds, WA. 2020

The flicker spent time at the suet feeder without getting spooked. Chestnut-backed chickadees flew in after the flicker departed.
  2. Bill Anderson

I returned to the back deck in the afternoon to get some photos before it got too hot. My son dragged out the 600L telephoto lens + tripod for closer shots. The Anna's hummer returned to her favorite perch. Bewick's wrens enjoy this spot as well as my back fence.
  3. Bill Anderson

Photo-Techno Geek Speak As I mentioned, I dropped my camera and my 100-400L II telephoto zoom is out of commission until I can get it to the camera shop. Since I would have gotten little or nothing in trade-in for my original 100-400L, I kept it as a back-up when I purchased its succcesor...
  4. Bill Anderson

The Anna's returned to her perch at my neighbor's flower bed. After these shots she flew over to my feeder and perched there briefly. I remained motionless, but she still took off without feeding. I suspect she may be drinking there when I am not present. She will lose her shyness...
  5. Bill Anderson

The spotted towhee fledgling was foraging beneath my seed feeders. One of its parents indicated the days of free handouts are over in rather dramatic fashion. Welcome to the real world.
  6. Bill Anderson

I got up to feed my cat about 5:00 Monday morning (8-03-2020) and noticed the Anna's hummer at what has become her usual perch. I returned to the back deck about 6:00am and grabbed a few shots of the early birds with the 1DxxII + 100-400L telephoto zoom. It was still relatively dark and...
  7. Bill Anderson

I have seen a TV show of a town in Texas near the Gulf of Mexico that has a festival every year when the hummers arrive to refuel before continuing on to Yucatan. The videos of hundreds (if not thousands) of hummers perched on feeders in town is amazing. The hummers lose a large percentage...
  8. Bill Anderson

Here are the ranges of our local hummers from the Cornell Laboratory of Ornithology. It looks as though the rufous hummers in the PNW most likely fly directly south to Baja without going as far east as the Gulf of Mexico. https://www.allaboutbirds.org/guide/Rufous_Hummingbird/maps-range...
  9. Bill Anderson

The suet feeder is popular with the nuthatches, chickadees, bushtits, juncos. and woodpeckers. Sometimes there is a waiting line to feed. Photographing the suet feeder can be difficult as it is in the shade for much of the day.
  10. Bill Anderson

Red-breasted nuthatches visit my seed and suet feeders. They will often hide a seed in the thick bark of one of my Doug firs for later eating.
  11. Bill Anderson

The first afternoon of August (Saturday, 8-1-2020) from the back deck. The morning overcast was replaced by bright sunshine, which made photography difficult. No sighting of the rufous hummer since the hummer war, but the Anna's is back. I don't know if she drove off the rufous or if the...
  12. Bill Anderson

I-SEE.I-SEE

I do not recognize the location, but I assume the bike in the last photo is a give-away for those who do.
  13. Bill Anderson

Edmonds Eagles 2018-2020

Nothing like a little sibling rivalry to liven up the photo op. Fortunately this did not happen before they fledged, as eaglets have been known to commit fratricide.
  14. Bill Anderson

Edmonds Eagles 2018-2020

Good shots. I wish I could get up there and photograph them. I am in all three high risk groups for the Corona virus, so my bird photography is lmited to my back deck.
  15. Bill Anderson

Some Nor Cal Raptors

You will have to deal with humidity in Vermont and blackflies in Maine. Check out northern Idaho north of Lewiston (Moscow, Couer d'Alene, and Sandpoint) as well as eastern Washington north of Spokane. Summers may be warm and dry, but they do not last for six months like northern California and...
  16. Bill Anderson

A male flicker was at the suet feeder earlier in the day. It is not same one I photogrpahed earlier in the week as it does not have the red chevron on the back of its neck. Later in the day it was pecking at the habitat stump. The round hole looks like a nesting cavity, but it seems late...
  17. Bill Anderson

Wednesday afternoon (7-29-2020) from the back deck before it got too warm. The only hummingbird I saw was the Anna's. It landed on my feeder but took off when it saw me. It won't be so shy this winter when temps dip below freezing and my feeder is its only food source. An adult and a...
  18. Bill Anderson

Edmonds Backyard Critters

Thanks. I don't always include all of the techno info with each photo. If you have any questions, feel free to reply to the photo or send me a PM.
  19. Bill Anderson

Edmonds Backyard Critters

I have not seen any Douglas's squirrels in the back yard for quite awhile. I suspect they may be nesting in the park at the end of our court. I doubt they would nest in my trees or those of my neighbors due to the presence of the eastern grey squirrels. I have not seen many eastern greys in...
  20. Bill Anderson

Round 2 The rufous continued scanning the skies. The Anna's launched a second attack. The camera did not lock on to the birds, but I am posting the photos up anyway as I find them entertaining. I did not get photos, but a few minutes later the Anna's launched a high altitude attack...
Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website (Learn More Here)

PNWPhotos.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com