15 Jokes only photographers will understand.

PNWPhotos.com a friendly and growing community of photographers with an interest in the Pacific Northwest region. We feature a Photography Discussion Forum and Pacific Northwest Photo Gallery. It's a fun and friendly place to talk with other photographers, ask questions, share you knowledge, view and post photos and more!

Bill Anderson

Super Moderator
Staff member
People see my big lenses and ask if I am a professional photographer. I tell them I have the best of both worlds: a professional's expenses and an amateur's income. A professional photographer told me that with my government pension, I probably make more than a professional photographer.

BobH

Administrator
Staff member
Amazing how often you get asked that when you bring out the big lens. I always laugh, people go nuts over my Tamron 150-600. Now, don't get me wrong, it's a great lens, I love it, and use it a LOT. But... It's the second cheapest lens in my bag, at about $850. The same people who act like I'm rocking a $10K lens when they see the Tamron never bat an eye at the Nikkor 24-70, despite the fact that it's about 50% more than the Tamron. But it's small, so it goes un-noticed.

BobH

Administrator
Staff member
People see my big lenses and ask if I am a professional photographer.

A few years back, I was shooting a tractor pull and had my usual camera. The local newspaper had sent out a gal probably fresh out of college, with a notepad and a point and shoot. Now, considering it was a tractor pull, and the resulting images were going to be printed on newsprint in B&W, that gear was fine. It was purely a fluff story, nobody was winning a Pulitzer.

Well, she and I were up by the judges stand and talking. People kept coming over to me, the guy with the big camera, totally ignoring her, and asking "Are you from the Chronicle?" Every time it happened, she got more annoyed. I felt bad but there's not much I could do. I've shot so many events I've got the whole "press" stance down to a science apparently. ;)

Bill Anderson

Super Moderator
Staff member
The days of Jimmy Olson may be drawing to a close. I read that a Chicago newspaper fired its photographers because it felt that a reporter with a point and shoot or cell phone would be just as good.

BobH

Administrator
Staff member
The days of Jimmy Olson may be drawing to a close. I read that a Chicago newspaper fired its photographers because it felt that a reporter with a point and shoot or cell phone would be just as good.

That is true. This was at least 10 years ago, if not longer. It was a small town paper, and she was a cub reporter, possibly even an intern, I don't know. She seemed to be taking it serious, making notes, taking names, etc. But it was definitely low budget. I guess they were ahead of the curve.

Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website (Learn More Here)

PNWPhotos.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com