All Aboard the Holiday express.

PNWPhotos.com a friendly and growing community of photographers with an interest in the Pacific Northwest region. We feature a Photography Discussion Forum and Pacific Northwest Photo Gallery. It's a fun and friendly place to talk with other photographers, ask questions, share you knowledge, view and post photos and more!

JaniceL

Super Moderator
Staff member
I do like the ghostly steam over the engine in this night shot. I had hoped to get some of that myself but because I got there just as the train is pulling in I missed the best POV. I am happy with what I got for two reasons. One is that in order to make the people disappear who walked in front of me I learned that a long exposure is quite effective. Also, with it stopped and the longer exposure I was able to get the light as a puff of steam just floated by at the right time. That was the only shot where I captured that effect.

BobH

Administrator
Staff member
It might not be what you were seeking, but I love the raptor attacking the train. :D

Pops

LOL! The misty smoke part is fine, that's what I was looking for there. I also like the light on the rails, it's a good look.

I don't like the new LED lights. They all seem to fade to blue when photographed. The blue just burns in way more than the other colors for some reason.

Shot this just to see what it would look like:

View attachment 4452

In the closeup, notice how much the blues are blowing out, while some of the other colors aren't as bright. Compare the gap between the red and yellow dots for example, to how the blue dots are much larger and touch one another. That indicates how much more light the blue ones put it. In a typical photo, they tend to dominate the scene.

They all appear to be about the same intensity when viewed with the human eye.

Another interesting factor is they flicker. You're seeing single lights, the repeating effect is caused by them turning on and off as the train passes by. The white ones are solid since they're incandescents, and don't flicker.

View attachment 4453

Last edited:

Sassy

yeah it only runs Fri, Sat & Sunday, and the last weekend it runs is this upcoming weekend.
Might have to sweet talk the hubby into letting me take him to work one of those evenings LOL.

BobH

Administrator
Staff member
Nice shots Jake, but are you sure you got the right mode of transportation? That second shot looks like Portholes! ;)

It actually is a train, they've got a couple of cars with those weird windows stored down near the interchange yard.

BobH

Administrator
Staff member
I was just giving you a hard time due to the round windows, which are rather unusual on passenger cars. :) To be totally honest, if you showed me that second shot, without me knowing anything about where you were, I'd most likely guess it was from a ship. That's how uncommon they are on train cars.

They are indeed both trains, and the cars you shoot (green and white ones, down the street from Nina's) are owned by the group that's putting on the Holiday Express. In fact, that will be the new home of those steam locomotives in a few years, just across the street from OMSI.

steveeshom

I like JaniceL's first image in post #6. The Daylight logo is pretty cool and you caught it on a moving locomotive!

Here's one of mine from Sunday morning when my daughter and I went down to watch the 4449 and go for nice hike.

5236949296_6f0cab4792_o.jpg

JaniceL

Super Moderator
Staff member
I like the angle on that too. Were you standing on your daughter's shoulders for this :D

The Daylight logo is pretty cool and you caught it on a moving locomotive!

I tried to think of it as catching the eyes on an agility dog.

Last edited:

BobH

Administrator
Staff member
Those cars are ex-Milwaukee Road.

Yep, that would be the Milwaukee, always doing stuff in their own weird way. The rib sided passenger cars they also had look like nothing else in the US, but resemble some of the rolling stock on the Trans-Siberian Railroad rather closely. :)

Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website (Learn More Here)

PNWPhotos.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com