American Bittern

PNWPhotos.com a friendly and growing community of photographers with an interest in the Pacific Northwest region. We feature a Photography Discussion Forum and Pacific Northwest Photo Gallery. It's a fun and friendly place to talk with other photographers, ask questions, share you knowledge, view and post photos and more!

I want to share with you A rare bird, At least for me. Taken at Nisqually in July 2012, just as the sun broke over the cascades. The only time I have seen A Bittern. What is the bird you have sought to photograph and maybe never have? R.J

Nesqually  Tacoma 112.JPG
Nesqually  Tacoma 125.JPG
Nesqually  Tacoma 129.JPG
Nesqually  Tacoma 140.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:

BobH

Administrator
Staff member
The rarest bird I’ve ever photographed? It’s most likely a Bittern. In fact, it’s very likely it was that same Bittern.
To be honest, I had no idea. There was a small crowd, but they were being unusually careful and quiet not to spook it. The Bittern was responding by calmly sitting right by the trail ignoring all the awed photographers.
Being a fairly novice birder, I asked what it was, and was told it was a Bittern and very unusual in this area. So I grabbed a couple shots then moved on so somebody else had a shot. Only one I’ve ever seen too! Since I only had a 200 mm at the time, I didn’t get the nice closeups you did. Since I had no clue it was there or even what it was, I can’t claim I worked for it.
The rarest bird I’ve actually worked to see is probably a Snowy Owl. My photos of it are clear enough to ID it, but not much more.

Terry O

Beautiful shots!
The only two places I have ever photographed a bittern is at the pond behind the visitor center at Nisqually and on the Skagit flats of Fir Island, both in 2009. I haven't seen one since. (both photos were taken with my trusty old Canon 40D and 400mm f56L)

This was taken on Feb.19, 2009 on Fir Island, near the North Fork of the Skagit River, just after snow had melted collapsing the bittern's cover.

02-19-2009_American Bittern skagit 2427.JPG

This photo was taken at the Nisqually visitor center pond, on April 21, 2009
4-21-2009 American Bittern Nisqually_4896.JPG

Last edited:

Terry O

I should add, in response to your first question "What is the bird you have sought to photograph and maybe never have?" My nemesis bird (to use Bill Andersons' words) that I have heard down in the cattails, but have only caught a glimpse of, is the Virginia Rail. Bill A has had some success, but I would love to get a shot of that bird!

Bill Anderson

Super Moderator
Staff member
I'll start a thread, Nemesis Birds, where we can all post photos (the good, the bad, and the ugly) and discuss birds that we can never quite seem to find or photograph.

Bill Anderson

Super Moderator
Staff member
I'll start a thread, Nemesis Birds, where we can all post photos (the good, the bad, and the ugly) and discuss birds that we can never quite seem to find or photograph.

Here is the thread. Post your photos and tell us your tales of the ones that got away.

Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website (Learn More Here)

PNWPhotos.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com