Birds in Nebraska and Iowa

PNWPhotos.com a friendly and growing community of photographers with an interest in the Pacific Northwest region. We feature a Photography Discussion Forum and Pacific Northwest Photo Gallery. It's a fun and friendly place to talk with other photographers, ask questions, share you knowledge, view and post photos and more!

Tom Z

I was encouraged by Bill to post some more pictures from Nebraska, since it's 2 years from this post. Here some of our local birds and some on their way somewhere else. Cormorants at Memphis (NE) State Recreation Area. Eagles in flooded area along interstate 29 in Iowa. Turkey Vultures just across the wide Missouri River in Iowa.

Cardinal in Snow_2_041620.JPG
Cardinal in Snow_3_041620.JPG
Cormorants_2_033020.JPG
Cormorants_3_033020.JPG
Eagle_1_010220.JPG
Eagle_2_010220.JPG
Female Cardinal_032020.JPG
Grackel_2_040320.JPG
Hawk_021120.JPG
Not Social Distance.JPG

Tom Z

Sharp Shinned has taken residence in a large tree on my parents property. My wife and I think the last one is a Tufted Titmouse but is still up for debate.

Sharp Shinned_042220.JPG
Time to fly_032020.JPG
Tufted Titmouse_021520.JPG

Tom Z

I put out the Oriole Grape jelly feeder a couple of weeks ago. This week the temps were in high 50's with night time lows around 35. Last week we had a couple days of 80. Anyway this Oriole started stopping by a number of times during the day. This shot is through the glass door. I will go sit on the deck his week and try and get one from outside. I just didn't want to scare him away.
Oriole_051020.JPG

Terry O

I know what you mean. I often shoot through our kitchen window for the same reason. A real treat to see.
Terry

Bill Anderson

Super Moderator
Staff member
It is nice seeing photos of birds we don't have in our area. You soon learn which birds are skittish and must be photographed through the glass. In my case it is the flickers.

Tom Z

Sat out on the deck in my black hooded sweatshirt next to the grill with the black cover. It's a bit windy and about 48 degrees. I think I'll jack the ISO up a bit more. Shot on Apeture preferred f7.1, ISO 2000, shutter varies but around 1/2000 . Maybe try the tripod. D810 with a Sigma 150 to 600 at 550mm.
Oriole_2_051020.JPG
Oriole_3_051020.JPG
Oriole_4_051020.JPG
If I stand up(photo 3 and 4) the backround is the roof of the house behind which is a consistent color and blurs nicely.

Bill Anderson

Super Moderator
Staff member
I think I'll jack the ISO up a bit more. Shot on Apeture preferred f7.1, ISO 2000, shutter varies but around 1/2000 . Maybe try the tripod. D810 with a Sigma 150 to 600 at 550mm.

Shooting daily from the same spot during these Corona Quarantine times allows you to experiment. I am thinking about buying a hunter's blind later this year to set up on my back deck when the weather turns colder and wetter.

Tom Z

Feeder population doubled today. Rainy and cold like the PNW. Sunny and 76 tomorrow they say. We'll see.
2 Orioles_051320.JPG

Do many of these birds migrate? I used to drive long haul from the west coast to the east coast and have been in some really tough winter storms on I-80. Driving a fully loaded semi with the wind howling. watching your trailer tires lift off the pavement. I was headed west bound and just thinking I still have to go over the Rockies. fun times. R.J

Tom Z

They all head somewhere when it starts to get cold. This is the first time I’ve had the feeder out at this house. We weren’t sure any were around. A friend of mine who lives on the west side of Omaha along the “Big Papillion” creek has them come by every year. I’ll be interested to see how long they stay in this neighborhood. I have also driven I 80 in the winter. No fun when the snow and wind combine.

Bill Anderson

Super Moderator
Staff member
Here are two good sites if you have questions on specific bird species.

Cornell Laboratory of Ornithology

National Audubon Society

Tom Z

I just don’t think these are as sharp as they should be with Sigma glass and a D810. Maybe I just expect too much. Although I had the 2x converter on it and had to manual focus because the camera hunts for focus when I get out around 800mm.

Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website (Learn More Here)

PNWPhotos.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com