Birds of Edmonds, WA. 2020

PNWPhotos.com a friendly and growing community of photographers with an interest in the Pacific Northwest region. We feature a Photography Discussion Forum and Pacific Northwest Photo Gallery. It's a fun and friendly place to talk with other photographers, ask questions, share you knowledge, view and post photos and more!

Bill Anderson

Super Moderator
Staff member
A female flicker checked out the habitat tree before flying over to the suet feeder.

06.jpg

07.jpg

Terry O

Exciting to see the warbler, Bill - one of my favorites - why don't these birds wait around for us to get the right lens/camera combo??
Terry

Bill Anderson

Super Moderator
Staff member
Exciting to see the warbler, Bill - one of my favorites - why don't these birds wait around for us to get the right lens/camera combo??
Terry

I was really disappointed with those shots. I thought I my aim was right on, but they all seemed to be fuzzy. Maybe it was a case of small bird + large crop + high ISO.

Terry O

They looked sharp enough to me, but too far away. If you’d had the time your 500 or 600+1.5 would have been the ticket.

Bill Anderson

Super Moderator
Staff member
I am considering purchasing a shooting blind to set up on the back deck later this year. I would appreciate any comments from those who have used one.

Bill Anderson

Super Moderator
Staff member
Wednesday afternoon (5-12-2020) out on the back deck trying to get shots of new birds or creative shots of everyday birds.

Two juncos perched on the rail not far from me.

01.jpg

02.jpg

I wanted my neighbor's blooming pink rhodie to serve as a backdrop for the mystery finch.

03.jpg

04.jpg

It usually goes after the safflower seeds.

05.jpg

Last edited:

Bill Anderson

Super Moderator
Staff member
A red-breasted nuthatch spent some time poking around one of my habitat stumps. They are hard to photograph as they are always in motion.

IMG_0001.jpg

IMG_0002.jpg

IMG_0003.jpg

IMG_0004.jpg

IMG_0005.jpg

Bill Anderson

Super Moderator
Staff member
New photos of old birds Wednesday afternoon (5-13-2020) from (where else? ) the back deck.

This little guy perched on my roof behind me, so the light was good. He was so close that I had to back off on the 100-400L II zoom to make sure he was in focus.

01.jpg

The bushtit pair continue to visit the suet feeder that hangs on my back shed, which is in the shadow for much of the day. I lightened these photos up using the post processing program that comes with Windows.

This is the female, as evidenced by her spooky yellow eyes.

02.jpg

03.jpg

04.jpg

05.jpg

Bill Anderson

Super Moderator
Staff member
The mystery finch returned on schedule. I tweaked these shots a little as well. He is the only bird that eats the safflower seeds with any regularity.

06.jpg

07.jpg

08.jpg

Last edited:

Bill Anderson

Super Moderator
Staff member
My patience finally paid off Thursday afternoon (5-14-2020) with a black-headed grosbeak visiting my bird feeders. The bird is a male in breeding plumage and only the second grosbeak I have seen in my backyard. The first was a few years ago.

01.jpg

The white specks are fragments of safflower seeds.

02.jpg

03.jpg

It was briefly joined by the mystery finch.

04.jpg

05.jpg

I photographed some other birds. I'll post those photos Friday.

Last edited:

Bill Anderson

Super Moderator
Staff member
More birds from Thursday.

A peregrine falcon soared high over head.

IMG_0001.jpg

IMG_0005.jpg

Spotted towhee.

IMG_0001.jpg

Bewick's wrens usually do not visit my feeders but prefer to hunt bugs in the foliage. This one dropped a lot of seeds on the ground for his squirrel buddies to find.

IMG_0001_1.jpg

IMG_0002.jpg

Bill Anderson

Super Moderator
Staff member
In a nice break from backyard birding, Monday afternoon (5-18-2020) my wife drove my son and me up to Pt. Edwards to check on the eagles' nest. We saw a olive-sided flycatcher perched in a tree near the nest.

IMG_0002.jpg

IMG_0003.jpg

IMG_0004.jpg

Bill Anderson

Super Moderator
Staff member
The past few days have not been conducive with camping out on the back deck with my big lens setup, so I have had to make do with random checks outside using the 1DxII + 100-400L II telephoto zoom handheld.

Tuesday 5-19-2020. I have not recently taken many photos of the Blues Brothers.

IMG_0001.jpg

Look closely and you can see this Seller's jay carrying a peanut in its mouth.

IMG_0002.jpg

An experienced jay can carry two or three whole, uncracked peanuts (shells and all) at once without choking by stashing one down its throat and another one or two in its mouth.

IMG_0003.jpg

IMG_0004.jpg

Last edited:

Bill Anderson

Super Moderator
Staff member
Handheld grab shots taken this afternoon (Thursday 5-21-2020) with the 1DxII + 100-400L II telephoto zoom.

A pair of spotted towhees visited the backyard. It is the first time I have seen two at once.

IMG_0001.jpg

I was able to get better shots when they landed on the ground to forage beneath my seed feeders. I believe the lighter colored bird in the foreground is the female.

I switched to AV mode @ f/16 + auto ISO to get both birds in focus. I'll post the resulting shutter speeds and ISO settings for us photo/techno geeks.
1/160, ISO = 1000

IMG_0004.jpg

1/160, ISO = 1000

IMG_0005.jpg

1/400, ISO = 2500

IMG_0006.jpg

1/320, ISO = 2500

IMG_0007.jpg

Bill Anderson

Super Moderator
Staff member
Chestnut-backed chickadee at the suet feeder. Both photos were taken in M mode: 1/1000, f/5.6, auto ISO = 1600

0001.jpg

0002.jpg

I switched to AV mode @ f/16 with Auto ISO in an attempt to avoid depth of field issues when shooting birds at the seed feeders.

Black-capped chickadees.

1/320, ISO = 6400

0003.jpg

Those who "prefer the blur" will like this photo.
1/400, ISO = 6400

0004.jpg

1/400, ISO = 6400

0005.jpg

Bill Anderson

Super Moderator
Staff member
The mystery finch appeared around its regular time. I continued in AV mode @ f/16 with Auto ISO.

I tried to shoot parts of the bird that might aid in ID-ing it. I must back off on the crops once the auto ISO settings migrate into four digits and above or the photos get very "soft" and appear out of focus.
1/320, ISO = 6400

IMG_0001.jpg

1/320, ISO = 6400

IMG_0004.jpg

Closer crops. 1/400, ISO = 8000

IMG_0005.jpg

Back to M mode: 1/1000, f/5.6, ISO = 3200

IMG_0006.jpg

Last edited:

Bill Anderson

Super Moderator
Staff member
Backyard shots from Saturday afternoon (5-23-2020). I usually limit my new posts to one page/day, but I will splurge this time since I have not been getting out every day.

A female flicker at the ground suet feeder in the morning. Flickers are very skittish, so I take some grab shots through the sliding glass door before venturing out onto the back deck. Like most flickers, she took off as soon as I opened the door.

IMG_0001.jpg

IMG_0002.jpg

IMG_0003.jpg

IMG_0004.jpg

IMG_0005.jpg

Last edited:

Bill Anderson

Super Moderator
Staff member
Daren replenished the seed feeders in preparation for the afternoon photo shoot.

01.jpg

02.jpg

03.jpg

04.jpg

Continued....

Last edited:
Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website (Learn More Here)

PNWPhotos.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com