Birds of Edmonds, WA. 2020

PNWPhotos.com a friendly and growing community of photographers with an interest in the Pacific Northwest region. We feature a Photography Discussion Forum and Pacific Northwest Photo Gallery. It's a fun and friendly place to talk with other photographers, ask questions, share you knowledge, view and post photos and more!

Bill Anderson

Super Moderator
Staff member
My son refilled the hanging suet feeder, which drew many birds Wednesday afternoon (7-15-2020).

Red-breasted nuthatch

01.jpg

Chestnut-backed chickadees

02.jpg

Dark-eyed juncos

03.jpg

04.jpg

Bill Anderson

Super Moderator
Staff member
While I did not set up all my equipment Thursday (7-16-2020) on the back deck , I did manage some grab shots with the 7DII + 100-400L II telephoto zoom of a red-breasted nuthatch at the suet feeder hanging on the back shed.

IMG_0001.jpg

IMG_0002.jpg

IMG_0003.jpg

Bill Anderson

Super Moderator
Staff member
I ran out of suet, therefore the suet feeders remained empty for quite some time until the bird food store re-opened. After my son filled the feeders, they become a magnet for various birds.

Nuthatches and a flock of bushits flocked to the feeder Tuesday (7-21-2020) morning. One nuthatch held out against the swarm of bushtits.

01.jpg

The bushtits created interesting shadows on my shed.

02.jpg

03.jpg

04.jpg

My neighbor's cat did not seem to bother the birds.

05.jpg

Bill Anderson

Super Moderator
Staff member
Wednesday (7-22-2020) started out overcast, which made for good lighting but high ISO settings. I no sooner got out on the back deck when my son pointed out a pileated woodpecker on the nearest tree. It spent some time at the suet feeder, then flew to one of my Doug firs. .

IMG_0001.jpg

IMG_0002.jpg

IMG_0003.jpg

From there it flew to my neighbors where it hunted for insects in the back yard.

IMG_0004.jpg

IMG_0005.jpg

Last edited:

Bill Anderson

Super Moderator
Staff member
More hunting.

IMG_0006.jpg

IMG_0007.jpg

IMG_0008.jpg

After a bit it flew south towards Pine Ridge Park.

IMG_0009.jpg

I thought I was finished seeing it for the day, but it made one last appearance on a telephone pole about two blocks west of me.

IMG_0010.jpg

Last edited:

Bill Anderson

Super Moderator
Staff member
The hIghlight of the day was a rufous hummingbird in my neighbor's flower bed. Up until now I had never seen a rufous anywhere in Edmonds other than at Pt. Edwards around the condos.

01.jpg

02.jpg

Not good shots, but they show the distinctive tail of the rufous.

03.jpg

04.jpg

A juvie Anna's showed up as well.

05.jpg

Bill Anderson

Super Moderator
Staff member
The woodpecker parade was not over as a pair of northern flickers made an appearance.

01.jpg

02 .jpg

The pale red chevron on the back of the male's neck is barely visible, but it shows that it is a red-shafted/yellow-shafted intergrade bird. I have photographed many of them in Edmonds.

03 .jpg

04.jpg

05 .jpg

Bill Anderson

Super Moderator
Staff member
The bushtits continue to come to the suet feeders. I initially thought it was a flock, but I now think it might be the fledglings of the two adults I photographed earlier. if you study the photos closely, you can see an adult feeding one of the other birds.

IMG_0001.jpg

Same story at the ground feeder.

IMG_0002.jpg

IMG_0003.jpg

IMG_0004.jpg

IMG_0005.jpg

Bill Anderson

Super Moderator
Staff member
Thursday morning (7-23-2020) shots with 1DxII + 100-400L II telephoto zoom.

The flickers were quite active in the backyard this morning. They are quite skittish and I could only get a grab shot of a male at the ground suet feeder. I need to pull some of the grass in front of the feeder.

IMG_0001.jpg

IMG_0002.jpg

A brown creeper was climbing up one of the Doug firs.

IMG_0001.jpg

IMG_0004.jpg

Bill Anderson

Super Moderator
Staff member
The rufous hummingbird continues to hang around my neighbor's flower bed. I am finding it harder to photograph than an Anna's.

IMG_0002.jpg

I believe this is a juvie as it does not have a red spot on its throat like a mature female.

IMG_0004.jpg

IMG_0005.jpg

I saw another hummer chase the rufous. I wonder if it was the juvie Anna's I photographed yesterday.

Last edited:

Terry O

Wow - great variety, Bill. Exciting pileated sequence! Nice to see the Rufous hummers too. I also think they are juvies. At least one looks like a male.

Bill Anderson

Super Moderator
Staff member
From the Cornell Laboratory of Ornithology.

Bill Anderson

Super Moderator
Staff member
Hummer action continued Thursday afternoon as two chased each other around our backyards. I thought both were rufous, but the one on the left looks like a rufous while the one on the right looks like an Anna's in the only photo I got of the two of them together. I call it a Sasquatch shot, which is one step lower in quality than an ID shot.

01.jpg

Rufous.

02.jpg

03.jpg

04.jpg

05.jpg

Bill Anderson

Super Moderator
Staff member
The Anna's perched on parts of the plants while feeding on the blossoms. I have never seen a hummer do this. It certainly saves a lot of energy, akin to shutting off your car's engine while filling up at the gas pump.

06.jpg

07.jpg

08.jpg

09.jpg

10.jpg

Bill Anderson

Super Moderator
Staff member
I tried to take a sequence of birds coming and going from the suet feeder. To do so, I shot handheld at 1/1000 @ f/16 with the 1DxII + 100-400L II telephoto zoom in order to both freeze the action and increase the depth of field.

The best sequence I got was of a red-breasted nuthatch warding off a chestnut-backed chickadee that was trying to land on the feeder. The chickadee is approaching the feeder in the lower right corner.

IMG_0001.jpg

Scram! I was here first!

IMG_0002.jpg

IMG_0003.jpg

The chickadee decides not to stay and argue.

IMG_0004.jpg

IMG_0005.jpg

Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website (Learn More Here)

PNWPhotos.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com