Birds of Woodway, WA

PNWPhotos.com a friendly and growing community of photographers with an interest in the Pacific Northwest region. We feature a Photography Discussion Forum and Pacific Northwest Photo Gallery. It's a fun and friendly place to talk with other photographers, ask questions, share you knowledge, view and post photos and more!

Terry O

Its been a while since I have posted, but with being cooped up forced me to get out and see what's going on...:)
4-5-2020 northern flicker couple yard_0603.JPG
N
4-5-2020 northern flicker yard_0609.JPG
4-5-2020 northern flicker yard_0610.JPG
4-5-2020 northern flicker yard_0611.JPG
4-5-2020 Eastern gray squirel yard_0591.JPG

Last edited:

Bill Anderson

Super Moderator
Staff member
Terry has started a new thread on his backyard birds. His first posting includes dramatic photos of a purple finch posing at a seed feeder outside his kitchen window, which you can see here:

Terry O

Nothing too exciting here this past week, except after at least two years, a pair of Band-tailed Pigeons magically appeared that I caught a glimpse of from our kitchen window a couple of days ago. I wasn't quick enough to get them both but did manage to get this shot of one of them from our deck. What a dapper dresser!

(
6-2-2020 Band-tailed Pigeon_0905.JPG
Canon 5diii and 400mm f5.6L at 1/1250s and ISO 3200)

Last edited:

Bill Anderson

Super Moderator
Staff member
Although a flock of band-tails has roosted in my neighbor's tree for several years, they never come to my feeders for closeups 😭

Last edited:

Terry O

At last a female Rufous Hummingbird at my feeder this year. I think I spotted one a week or so ago, but couldn't be sure. Usually the males show up after the females, at least that's been my experience.

6-16-2020 f rufous hummingbird_0935.JPG
6-16-2020 f rufous hummingbird_0936.JPG

Canon 5Diii Canon 400mm f5.6L 1/1250s f5.6 iso 640

Terry O

I finally got out to check on our bald eagle nest here in Woodway - Bill and I have monitored the nests of the same pair for several years. Unfortunately when they moved their nest from their original location to another tree nearby, the view of the nest became difficult at best. I was not able to see the youngsters this time, but the male was perched at the top of the nest tree waiting for the female to bring the kids some dinner. I lost patience after an hour and left. As Bill will tell you the time to be there is when I leave :).....

(canon 5diii and 500mm f4L with 2x iii extender. 1/1250s f8 auto iso)
6-23-2020 m bald eagle chinook_1048.JPG

Bill Anderson

Super Moderator
Staff member
That nest is best photographed in the late afternoon/early evening when the sun is behind you and shining directly into the nest. That creates other lighting problems, but at least you are not shooting into shadows using high ISO settings.

Terry O

This is from 2013 when the nest was across the road and near the dead end. Ahhh memories....
2-20-2013 mom eagle at nest_0726c2.JPG

Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website (Learn More Here)

PNWPhotos.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com