Bob's Favorite Shots of 2013

PNWPhotos.com a friendly and growing community of photographers with an interest in the Pacific Northwest region. We feature a Photography Discussion Forum and Pacific Northwest Photo Gallery. It's a fun and friendly place to talk with other photographers, ask questions, share you knowledge, view and post photos and more!

BobH

Administrator
Staff member
Let's be honest, when you shoot as much as I do, how can you pick a top ten list? So here's 35,000 shots, find your favorit...
Uh, yeah, that won't work will it? OK, I'll pick one per month, and show you a shot I like. I'm not saying they're my best work, just ones that caught my eye...

January 2013 - Bald Eagle fly-by. I spent a good bit of January last year looking for eagles. I started with Rockport, the traditional eagle hotspot. Found some, but couldn't get close enough for a decent shot. Tried the Nooksack, better but I was late in the season. Each time required getting up at 4 AM and driving for hours.

Finally, a friend says "Did you see all the eagles on the Nisqually by Orting?" "Huh, what?" "Oh, yeah, tons of them!" So I get up about 6, take a short drive and start looking. Soon enough, found some. This fellow was cool. He'd perched on the far side of the river. I was wearing black and standing by a tree, trying to be a bit less threatening. (They're eagles, I knew I wasn't going to be able to hide from them, but I was hoping to be ignored...)

He watches me for a bit, and then flies directly towards me. Check out his eye, he's looking right at me. He swoops around in a big banked curve, and lands back in his tree. Apparently I passed muster, soon he and his friends were hanging out and ignoring me. It was very cool!

BH2_6364-1200.jpg

Last edited:
February 2013.
This is the Washington Park & Zoo Railway at Portland. The Zoo Train track in the zoo is currently being "improved" (made a lot shorter).
This photo was the result of a unique opportunity to ride a "chase train" ahead of the steamer and take photos. This train has always been a favorite of mine, and I'm grateful for the chance to document it.

BH2_7528-Edit-1200.jpg

March 2013
Woodland Park Zoo's 3-year-old South African lion Adia gave birth to four cubs the evening of November 8, 2012. These little guys were cute as kittens at first, though they quickly grew into small but regal lions.

BH2_9740-1200.jpg

Bonus shot, Mom looking like the Queen of the Jungle

BH2_0092-1200.jpg

Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website (Learn More Here)

PNWPhotos.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

Back