Caspian Terns 2013

PNWPhotos.com a friendly and growing community of photographers with an interest in the Pacific Northwest region. We feature a Photography Discussion Forum and Pacific Northwest Photo Gallery. It's a fun and friendly place to talk with other photographers, ask questions, share you knowledge, view and post photos and more!

Bill Anderson

Super Moderator
Staff member
Caspian terns are one of my favorite birds, but I seldom get an opportunity to photograph them under optimal conditions. Such an opportunity presented itself around 5:00pm Saturday (6/15) when the terns made a rare daylight, close up appearance diving for fish in Puget Sound off Sunset Ave. in Edmonds, WA.

While this may seem like a lot of photos, I deleted several hundred others. :D

Dive #1
01.JPG

02.JPG

03.JPG

04.JPG

05.JPG

Last edited:
Dive #3 concluded.
26.JPG

27.JPG

28.JPG

29.JPG

30.JPG

There are 20 more photos of two more dives. Do you want to see them or have you had enough? :confused:

I believe that one good tern deserves another, but others may not be so inclined. :rolleyes:

Last edited:
You are the master of these shots, Bill. I was there later in the evening and they were also flying close, but the sun angle was just horrible. I was tempted to get out the 500 but decided not to because of the lighting.

More dives from Saturday.

Dive #4
Terns will often pass over the water, then abruptly go into a steep bank and dive.

31.JPG

32.JPG

33.JPG

34.JPG

35.JPG

Final dive sequence, conclusion
46.JPG

47.JPG

48.JPG

49.JPG

I have seen some birds, including terns, rotate their heads 180* in flight.
50.JPG

Last edited:
Saturday I was extremely fortunate to have a combination of good light + the terns diving fairly close to the shore. The light was not as good Sunday (6/16) near sunset and the terns were farther out.

This tern looked very pretty against the background of the west side of Puget Sound.
01.JPG

02.JPG

Dive sequence
03.JPG

04.JPG

Last edited:
Dive sequence, conclusion
05.JPG

The tern came up with dinner.
06.JPG

07.JPG

08.JPG

If the terns are making a habit of diving at this particular spot close to sunset, I'll try to get down the the jetty at Brackett's Landing and get photos viewing them from the opposite direction.

Last edited:
Those are amazingly crisp shots! I'm guessing you were on burst mode, but what shutter speed were you using?

You are correct about my shooting in burst mode. I was using a shutter speed of 1/1000, which is my basic default shutter setting. Terns, osprey, and eagles glide more than they flap, so it is not necessary to use a very fast shutter speed to freeze the wings.

Monday evening (7/1) I was up on Sunset Ave. to photograph the sunset when some noisy terns flew in to fish. Terry assures me they sound like pterodactyls. ;)

I had the 5D Mk III + 24-105L zoom mounted on a tripod in order to use the camera's HDR mode for the sunset shots, so I used the 7D + 100-400L zoom hand held to photograph the terns. I knew it was too dark and the terns were too far away for good dive sequences, so I tried to get shots of the terns the terns against the background of the Olympic Mountains,
01.JPG

02.JPG

Puget Sound,
03.JPG

and the sunset.
04.JPG

05.JPG

Last edited:
I managed to get a few terns in the sunset shots I took with the 5D Mk III + 24-105L zoom.
06.JPG

07.JPG

After the sun went down, I swapped lens and cameras and took some shots using the 5D Mk III + 100-400L zoom.
08.JPG

09.JPG

10.JPG

Last edited:
The Caspian terns never dive in the waters of Puget Sound off Edmonds until sunset, when it is nearly impossible to photograph them. :mad:

Here are some artsy/surreal/ethereal shots from Ocean Ave. on Thursday (7/18) evening.

01.JPG

02.JPG

03.JPG

04.JPG

05.JPG

Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website (Learn More Here)

PNWPhotos.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

Back