Christmas Birds

PNWPhotos.com a friendly and growing community of photographers with an interest in the Pacific Northwest region. We feature a Photography Discussion Forum and Pacific Northwest Photo Gallery. It's a fun and friendly place to talk with other photographers, ask questions, share you knowledge, view and post photos and more!

Bill Anderson

Super Moderator
Staff member
I spent Christmas with my parents and extended family in Vancouver,WA. This female Anna's hummer constantly flew between my parents' feeder and a neighbor's tree on Christmas day.
01.JPG

A second hummer visited the feeder. I could hear the first hummer getting quite agitated in the background.
02.JPG

We were just about ready to leave for home the day after Christmas when I saw something unusual in one of my parents' trees. I went back to the car and grabbed my camera, returned to the tree and found a western scrub jay on the fence. They are quite pretty, but we don't get them up where I live.
03.JPG

It buried the piece of corn in the grass.
04.JPG

05.JPG

Last edited:
We had them in Monterey, where I would throw peanuts out for them. They were quite aggressive and would chase off the squirrels and Steller's jay to get a peanut. I once got one to hop through the open sliding glass door to the back deck and come about five feet into the house to retrieve a peanut.

Last edited:
I always love the Hummers.... i even put up a heat lamp for them this winter.. getting a few but one at a time....

It's good to see birds in blue, the only ones around here are the stellars jays. Christmas day when I was at the parents I got the eagles, but I did not spend any time out at their feeders where they have at least a dozen hummingbirds dive bombing anything that moves near the feeder. Seems to be a really good fall/winter for hummingbirds to hang around this year.

Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website (Learn More Here)

PNWPhotos.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

Back