Do you shoot video with your DSLR?

PNWPhotos.com a friendly and growing community of photographers with an interest in the Pacific Northwest region. We feature a Photography Discussion Forum and Pacific Northwest Photo Gallery. It's a fun and friendly place to talk with other photographers, ask questions, share you knowledge, view and post photos and more!

Do you shoot video

• Yes, I shoot video with my DSLR quite often

Votes: 3 8.1%
  • Yes, I shoot video with my DSLR but only rarely

Votes: 5 13.5%
  • Yes, I shoot video with a dedicated videocamera

Votes: 6 16.2%
  • Yes, I shoot video with my Point and Shoot

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No, my DSLR doesn't have that function

Votes: 16 43.2%
  • No, my camera can shoot it, but I'm not interested yet

Votes: 7 18.9%

• Total voters

BobH

Administrator
Staff member
Up until now, we've only discussed still photography. That will remain the core focus of the forum, but there's no ignoring the fact that many DSLRs now come with video.

To help determine how important the video functions are to forum members, I've created a poll asking how much you shoot video and how you shoot it. This will give us a starting point for the discussions.

Do you shoot video?

Up until now, we've only discussed still photography. That will remain the core focus of the forum, but there's no ignoring the fact that many DSLRs now come with video.

To help determine how important the video functions are to forum members, I've created a poll asking how much you shoot video and how you shoot it. This will give us a starting point for the discussions.

Last edited:
I have on occasion for personal use. It takes some getting used to and then of course you get the urge to get editing software. Yikes that could be another thread.

No. My camera shoots it but I don't use that feature. If I wanted to shoot video I'd get a video cam.

Video

I have on occasion for personal use. It takes some getting used to and then of course you get the urge to get editing software. Yikes that could be another thread.

I dont think I will ever get any editing software for video, What I record is what you get...for now.

Video

No. My camera shoots it but I don't use that feature. If I wanted to shoot video I'd get a video cam.

I thought it might be a good idea to have one camera with 2 memory cards, one for photo and the other for video, switch them back and forth. If I ever do that again I will write a "P" for photo and "V" for video. I find it easier to use a dedicated video camera instead. However, my digital camera that I do photo mostly with, has video, the camera I got for mostly video will do photo too, kind of like 2 and 2 in 1. The one I use for video can be recording a video and if you see something interesting, fire the photo button on the fly.

Last edited:
I have shot a couple of jobs with a DSLR and have gotten quite a few funny looks, i.e. "when are you going to stop taking pictures and start videoing?". That aside, the ergonomics of DSLRs aren't really designed for video, and there are all sorts of accessories and gadgets and whatever else you end up adding so that it "behaves" like a video camera. That doesn't even begin to deal with the issues that arise dealing with audio, rolling shutter, the heavily compressed video codecs, the short recording times...
That said, the idea of having only one camera to do both photo/video is extremely attractive to many, as is the possibility to use the huge array of relatively inexpensive lenses. It is definitely a transitional time with the video side still needing to catch up.
edit to add: While I voted that I use a dedicated video camera for video, I remembered I did shoot a small video with my point and shoot camera that was accepted to a festival. And obviously I have mentioned above having used a DSLR as well. But given the choice I would rather use a video camera.

Last edited:
Tim, most videographers agree that DSLR video is a bit of a kludge, for the reasons you mention. Lots of features are lacking, others are limited. Yes, you can buy all kind of gear to make your DSLR into a "wanna be" video camera, but by the time you get done, you haven't saved much money, and you don't really have the best solution.

So why bother at all? Well, as you mention, the lenses are relatively inexpensive, and you can use the shallow depth of field that they provide. Typical video lenses try to keep everything in the scene sharp. That's usually good, but it can limit your options. By using a large aperature lens with a shallow depth of field, you can get really nice creative effects.

You're right, the whole thing is in flux, and it will be interesting to see what happens.

All my video camera's never had any focus or aperature manual settings, the last full video camera I had, 8MM tapes, had zoom, record button, and the usual funtions for playback in VCR mode. So i am used to full long range depth of field, My P&S style fixed lens works great for both photo and video, and I could use it like that very well, The reason I have another camera for video is it does 16:9 wide screen and 1080 HD. And video lenses keeping it sharp with limitations? I never think of it being limited, until now, something to think about. One more thing tonight, On a digital camera, if your video setting is on the selector wheel on top? you will NOT be able to do anything but record and stop, I think there are settings for Res. 640 X 480, or 320 X 240, and will most likely be 30 frames a second. Camcorders will do 60 frames a second. I will research this and verify..

Last edited:
I dont think I will ever get any editing software for video, What I record is what you get...for now.

I don't know what platform you are running off of, but I think Windows live Movie Maker will edit quite a few types of video. My copy came with the Windows 7 laptop that I bought last year.

I thought it might be a good idea to have one camera with 2 memory cards, one for photo and the other for video, switch them back and forth.

I rented a D300s for a trip I took down to New Mexico and it has 2 card slots. You can configure it to assign video to one slot and photos to the other. I imagine there are other cameras out there that you can do the same with as well.

I love shooting video and can not wait to buy a DSLR with video in it, until then my Sony Handycam is going to have to suffice. Editing video on the other hand is a real chore.......a chore I'm not very good at :eek:

Dave

I recently passed on spending more for a DSLR with video capabilities. I would use it on occassion but its not worth it for me now. I could see using limited video at a wedding (best man/maid of honor toast) or to catch my son's touchdown run in football.

The last time I really looked at the Nikon cameras with video, they didn't offer AF, and I'd need that for sports. I think they offer at least one that autofocuses now and maybe canon does too.

There wasn't an additional option: I have zero interest in shooting video even if my camera is capable.

I used to have a dedicated video camera, barely used it.

Douglas, well, the last option may not be techically correct in your case, but it's close enough for government work. :)

I voted, but what I really want to know is if Anyone takes still images with their video cameras? :)

I am usually asked to take frames from video for use in brochures and other related materials at my work, considering cameras like the RED shoot with a 14megapixel sensor it isn't an issue. Even with 1080p the image is generally acceptable if printed small or used on a website.
In fact one HD video image I shot was used in an exhibit where it was blown up to about 6 feet and it wasn't terrible, but I believe there was a lot of post-processing involved with that.

To tell the truth, I don't know if any of my DSLRs will shoot video. And, I am not interested enough to get out the manual and find out. :D

Pops

I take videos often with my camera, edit the footage using Imovie, and send them to family in other states and other countries. lots of fun

Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website (Learn More Here)

PNWPhotos.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

Back