Eagle Hot Spot

PNWPhotos.com a friendly and growing community of photographers with an interest in the Pacific Northwest region. We feature a Photography Discussion Forum and Pacific Northwest Photo Gallery. It's a fun and friendly place to talk with other photographers, ask questions, share you knowledge, view and post photos and more!

Tony S

Right now there is a great gathering of eagles on the Carbon river above the fish hatchery in Orting. In just five minutes behind my mom and dad's on the river I counted over 60 eagles. This picture is not the best, but look close, there are 13 eagles in the trees in this one shot taken across the river. I did not have much time to shoot pictures today since we were almost late for dinner, but I will be going back in the next day or so to get some shots. There is plenty of good viewing spots from the Foothills Trail at the Carbon river bridge about a mile up from the hatchery. 12-25-13_0029.jpg

Tony S

They do come in close, but I had to hurry back to the house for dinner. (OK, I admit it, I was also a weenie out there in just short sleeves in the fog and cold). Here's a pair that came by and I had to pick up the 400 with monopod and all to swing over my head to get them.

12-25-13_0038.jpg

12-25-13_0051 C.jpg

JaniceL

Super Moderator
Staff member
Eagles from any distance are cool. Love the overhead flight.

If you were out in the fog and cold with only short sleeves, weenie might not be quite the right word to describe you. ;)

BobH

Administrator
Staff member
I haven't been out yet this year, but I've also had good luck along the Puyallup south of Orting.

One nice thing about these eagles is that many of them are acclimatized to people. I was out shooting one day and a couple of folks come down the trail, walking their dogs. That's allowed, but I figured it was going to scare off the eagles perched in the trees nearby. Nope, the eagles simply kept an eye on them and stayed put.

Tony S

Only a couple up the Puyallup leg off of Oroville Road, the salmon are hitting the Carbon pretty heavy so food is easier there. I've never seen so many eagles there before, my parents have to keep a close eye on their little mutt when they let him out. But there were about a dozen or so cow elk in that area Bob. Figures they would be there this week since I could not find them there over a week ago during the muzzle loader season.

Last edited:
Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website (Learn More Here)

PNWPhotos.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com