Eagle pair greeting one another

PNWPhotos.com a friendly and growing community of photographers with an interest in the Pacific Northwest region. We feature a Photography Discussion Forum and Pacific Northwest Photo Gallery. It's a fun and friendly place to talk with other photographers, ask questions, share you knowledge, view and post photos and more!

Taken at long distance and light crop. I believe the male is on the left. A paired Eagles bond are unbreakable and fascinating to watch them interact.

R.J

Attachments

• 2P1A0042 copy.jpg
    2P1A0042 copy.jpg
    426.1 KB · Views: 235
  • 2P1A0043 copy.jpg
    2P1A0043 copy.jpg
    400.2 KB · Views: 217
  • 2P1A0044 copy.jpg
    2P1A0044 copy.jpg
    500.6 KB · Views: 204
  • 2P1A0045.JPG
    2P1A0045.JPG
    434.3 KB · Views: 199
  • 2P1A0046.JPG
    2P1A0046.JPG
    446 KB · Views: 222
  • 2P1A0047.JPG
    2P1A0047.JPG
    409.3 KB · Views: 204

Bill Anderson

Super Moderator
Staff member
It is always a memorable sight and sound when a mated pair greets each other. The breast feathers of the eagle on the left are so much lighter than those of the one on the right. Could the one on the left be the same light colored bird bird you photographed in flight as you got out of your car?

Yes it is. I did not realize that he was there until I was looking a the photos on my computer. He is so light. Oh, even his wings are a light off white. He still has a white head and tail feathers.. R.J

Bill Anderson

Super Moderator
Staff member
The UW manages a List Serve called Tweeters where birders report bird sightings, etc. via e-mail. It is a very good resource for bird photographers as well to learn what/where birds are currently being seen in our area.

There have been reports on Tweeters over the past few years of a leucistic bald eagle up in that area. You may have photographed it. It would be interesting to see if it mates and reproduces in the area.

Terry O

Super interesting shots! I've never seen a leucistic bald eagle, let along photographed one. Were these take at the W90 too?

Yes at the W90. Most rare birds and great pictures are chance encounters. At least for me. The first picture of the eagles in flight, I was just getting out of my car. Not even have my camera turned on. My choice of camera was the Canon 7DII. This camera locks AF in an instant. I don't think I would have got a good picture, if I would have been using my 5DIV. The pictures taken of the pair in the tree, they were about a 1/4 mile away in somewhat low light. R.J

Terry O

Thanks, Rick. I totally agree on your chance encounters comment. But it still comes down to being prepared for those unexpected opportunities. I started doing bird photography in 2006 with a Canon Rebel and the 400mm f5.6L have been through the 40D, 7D, and now using the 5DIII. Bill and I have done many enjoyable photo shoots and have exhibited together over the past several years. Given how I somehow got to be 83 I find myself mostly shooting in and around my home in Woodway. I really enjoy seeing your and other’s work.
Terry

Bill Anderson

Super Moderator
Staff member
If I recall correctly, one of the leucistic bald eagles reported on Tweeters in the past was in the vicinity of the West 90. I hope you are able to follow the pair you recently photographed over the next few yrears to see if they nest and reproduce.

Bill Anderson

Super Moderator
Staff member
I posted up a link to these photos on Tweeters in the hopes that someone who birds the Skagit area may be able to provide an update on leucistic eagle sightings.

Thanks Guys I have traveled pretty much the same path in photography. For years using super zoom bridge cameras and then moving to Canon DLSR cameras. The current Canon 5D-7D camera body's are very nice and tough. Rain, freezing cold, snow. Never had one problem with Canons, Hopefully Canon will see fit to release one last great DLSR. The 5DV? With the AF from the 1DXIII. I can only dream. R.J

Bill Anderson

Super Moderator
Staff member
Thanks Guys I have traveled pretty much the same path in photography. For years using super zoom bridge cameras and then moving to Canon DLSR cameras. The current Canon 5D-7D camera body's are very nice and tough. Rain, freezing cold, snow. Never had one problem with Canons, Hopefully Canon will see fit to release one last great DLSR. The 5DV? With the AF from the 1DXIII. I can only dream. R.J
I think it is no coincidence that "big white lenses" are so prominent among professional sports photographers. Hopefully that niche will keep Canon in the dSLR market.

Canon makes great cameras and EF lens system. The new R series cameras will take over soon. But Canon does quirky things, A 100-500 R lens . Sounds great, but at F7? A 800 R prime at F11. I don't think Canon will make many more updated EF lens for DLSR systems.. The 1DXIII was the last of its line. There is some talk about one more 5D series camera,. Canons going all out on the R series . R.J

Bill Anderson

Super Moderator
Staff member
At this point I am all set for equipment. It would take an accident or a real steal of a deal for me to upgrade or add to my cameras or lenses.
Lenses with minimum apertures of f/7 and f/11 really scare me given the notorious bad light up here in the Puget Sound Region. Plus there are times when you want the "soft" background created by a wide aperture.

Ricky: Check your PM's.

Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website (Learn More Here)

PNWPhotos.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com