Edmonds Eagles 2017-2018

PNWPhotos.com a friendly and growing community of photographers with an interest in the Pacific Northwest region. We feature a Photography Discussion Forum and Pacific Northwest Photo Gallery. It's a fun and friendly place to talk with other photographers, ask questions, share you knowledge, view and post photos and more!

Bill Anderson

Super Moderator
Staff member
Continued from page 3.

Another landing, this one from the south into the nest.

06.jpg

07.jpg

08.jpg

09.jpg

10.jpg

Last edited:

Bill Anderson

Super Moderator
Staff member
The eagle was getting harassed by evil minions of the Dark Lord while it was perched in the sentry tree. It finally had enough and left.
11.jpg

12.jpg

It flew to the top of the nest tree where it remained for a few minutes, then departed.
13.jpg

14.jpg

15.jpg

Bill Anderson

Super Moderator
Staff member
I am frequently given advance notice of an eagle's pending arrival by the cries of its accompanying bird-tourage. This happened Saturday afternoon (5-26-18) when one of the Pt. Edwards eagles flew north over the marina. Usually the crows and gulls just buzz an eagle, but this crow made physical contact.

01.jpg

The eagle did a 180* turn over the ferry and returned south followed by crows. I'm not sure if the Caspian tern in the photo was following the eagle or just passing by.

02.jpg

One crow caught up to the eagle, made physical contact, then backed off. It is nesting season, which I suspect is why the crows are more aggressive than usual.
03.jpg

04.jpg

05.jpg

Last edited:

Bill Anderson

Super Moderator
Staff member
I keep returning to the Pt. Edwards nest to search for sights or sounds of hatchlings. I saw neither Sunday afternoon (5-27-18), but I got some nice shots of one of the adults stretching its wings.

01.jpg

02.jpg

I was hoping to get takeoff shots of this bird or landing shots of its mate, but neither occurred after an hour's wait. My parting shots were of the eagle getting harassed by an evil minion of the Dark Lord.

03.jpg

04.jpg

I drove down to the waterfront where I saw its mate perched on the piling near the ferry dock.

Bill Anderson

Super Moderator
Staff member
The news we have all been waiting for:
Tuesday afternoon (5-29-18) I spotted an eaglet in the Pt. Edwards nest. I first took some grab shots with the 7DII + 100-400L zoom.

01.jpg

02.jpg

I then set up the 1Dx + 500L + 1.4x teleconverter in the hope of getting some closer shots, but the baby chose that time to duck down into the nest.

Bill Anderson

Super Moderator
Staff member
Both of the Pt. Edwards eagles were perched on top of the nest tree when I made my rounds Thursday afternoon (5-31-18).
01.jpg

They did not seem to mind osprey eating a fish on the tree down the street that they frequent.
02.jpg

One flew off before I could get the big telephoto lens set up and left the other to fend off the evil minions of the Dark Lord.

03.jpg

04.jpg

05.jpg

Terry O

Super shots, Bill! I wonder if we should have a shower for the new eaglet - maybe you could host it at your place :).

Bill Anderson

Super Moderator
Staff member
Tuesday afternoon (6-5-18) at the Pt. Edwards nest. The nest is so large that you can sometimes miss seeing an adult if it is hunkered down at the back of the nest. I did not see this adult until it stood up.

IMG_0001.jpg

IMG_0002.jpg

The baby was stirring around, but was hard to see. Look closely and you can see the heads of the baby (right) towards the front of the nest and an adult (left) towards the rear.

IMG_0003.jpg

Bill Anderson

Super Moderator
Staff member
In the late evening the sun shines into the Pt. Edwards nest, necessitating negative exposure compensation.

Monday evening (6-11-18) one adult was perched on a branch above the nest.

IMG_0001.jpg

The other was perched on top of the sentry tree across the street.

IMG_0002.jpg

An eagle has to be very careful when scratching around its eyes.

IMG_0003.jpg

IMG_0004.jpg

IMG_0005.jpg

Bill Anderson

Super Moderator
Staff member
The eagle crept down the branch and settled into the nest for the night.

IMG_0006.jpg

IMG_0007.jpg

IMG_0008.jpg

IMG_0009.jpg

Reset to 0 exposure compensation.

IMG_0010.jpg

Bill Anderson

Super Moderator
Staff member
Thursday afternoon (6-14-18) I staked out the Pt. Edwards nest. I had barely set up when one of the adults shot out of the nest and landed in the yard of a house down the street.

A pack of crows flew into the yard and started raising ****. The eagle flew up out of the yard and headed back toward the nest, flying very low over the street while being chased by crows.

02.jpg

03.jpg

04.jpg

As the eagle flew over me, I could see that it had caught a crow.

05.jpg

Unfortunately the camera was around my neck and I had accidentally knocked the shutter speed down to 1/320. Many of the photos were marginal. I would have preferred to be shooting at 1/500 if not 1/1000.

Last edited:

Bill Anderson

Super Moderator
Staff member
It was my first opportunity for good shots of the baby as the adult fed it, giving literal meaning to the term "eating crow."

06.jpg

07.jpg

08.jpg

09.jpg

Bill Anderson

Super Moderator
Staff member
After feeding the eaglet, the adult changed positions above the nest.

10.jpg

11.jpg

12.jpg

13.jpg

The other adult had watched the entire proceeding from the sentry tree across the street.

14.jpg

Bill Anderson

Super Moderator
Staff member
Saturday (6-16-18) was too sunny to take photos at the marsh, so I drove up to the Pt. Edwards eagle nest. I was feeling lazy and decided to sit in a lawn chair and shoot handheld with the 7DII + 100-400L II telephoto zoom. One of the adults was in the nest along with the eaglet.

01.jpg

I added the 1.4x teleconverter when the eaglet popped up to stretch. The feather shafts on the underside of its wing are still developing.

02.jpg

The adult fed the eaglet a fish(?) dinner. The eaglet is now big enough to screech when it wants to be fed.

03.jpg

04.jpg

I checked the Deer Creek nest and confirmed that it is now home to at least one eaglet.

05.jpg

Last edited:

Bill Anderson

Super Moderator
Staff member
I drove back up to the Pt. Edwards nest Monday evening (6-18-18) while my son was playing tennis. This time I mounted the 7DII + 500L telephoto + 1.4x teleconverter on a tripod for closeups. Mother was across the street in the sentinel tree while baby was standing upright in the nest.

Eagles can't sweat, but they do pant when it is warm.

01.jpg

02.jpg

Screeching alerted me that father was near by. I caught his fly-in with the 1Dx + 100-400L II telephoto zoom, which I had hung around my neck for such an occasion.

03.jpg

04.jpg

05.jpg

Bill Anderson

Super Moderator
Staff member
I took one last flight shot then ran to the camera mounted on the tripod, which was aimed at the nest, to get some shots of the eagle landing in the nest.

06.jpg

It fooled me and landed on top of the nest tree. It must have been somewhere cool as it was not panting.

07.jpg

Mother, meanwhile, was being pestered by crows seeking revenge for the death of their comrade two days previous.

08.jpg

As I was leaving to pick up my son, I drove to the south side of the nest.

09.jpg

The baby was back there checking me out.

10.jpg

Bill Anderson

Super Moderator
Staff member
I checked the Deer Creek nest Tuesday morning (6-19-18) while the light would still allow for good shots of the eaglet using the 7DII + 500L telephoto + 1.4x teleconverter.

IMG_0001.jpg

I was met with a surprise. The Deer Creek pair has two eaglets this year like they did last year. The second eaglet can be seen on the right side of the nest. One of the parents arrived, but it perched on the opposite of the tree as the nest and I was unable to photograph it.

IMG_0002.jpg

Later that afternoon I saw one adult eagle on the beach below Sunset Ave. and a second adult flying near it. I was unable to get any good photos due to the heat waves off the sand and water. They took off north, leading me to believe they were the Hutt Park pair.

Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website (Learn More Here)

PNWPhotos.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com