Fisherman's Light before the Storm

PNWPhotos.com a friendly and growing community of photographers with an interest in the Pacific Northwest region. We feature a Photography Discussion Forum and Pacific Northwest Photo Gallery. It's a fun and friendly place to talk with other photographers, ask questions, share you knowledge, view and post photos and more!

This photograph was taken at Fisherman's Terminal in Ballard. I noticed a storm was soon to be moving in and noticed the storm light shining on the fishing vessels and looked awesome. Enjoy!

Camera 7D, 52mm, 1/500, f/11.0, ISO 160

View attachment 5620

Last edited:
David,

Great photo, I really like storm light, especially when combined with ships. Very cool.

One minor nitpick, easily fixed. I think you need to rotate it counterclockwise just a touch.

Rotate

David,

Great photo, I really like storm light, especially when combined with ships. Very cool.

One minor nitpick, easily fixed. I think you need to rotate it counterclockwise just a touch.

I saw that too Bob, but thought it looked like the natural "angle of depth" to elevation, not sure how to explain my view in words..

Thank you for all your comments. I am sorry to all of you HDR fans, I unfortunately don't like the idea of HDR for my work as I think HDR is too artsy and makes things look fake. I like using the original RAW format and just go from there. I like keeping my photos pure and to what the image actually looks like with minimal editing.

David,

HDR doesn't have to look fake, it all depends on what setting you use...

In your photo, it might accentuate the details in the clouds, and possibly bring out a bit more detail in the dark areas. Then again, you can also do the same thing in Photoshop. Anyone who uses "single image HDR" isn't actually using HDR at all, they're simply using the HDR programs settings for things like contrast, brightness and saturation to adjust their image. By definition, an HDR photo has to be made up of more than one image.

One of these is HDR, one is not (you can easily tell which is which by the file name). The difference is pretty subtle.

View attachment 5624

View attachment 5625

The top one is a 5 image HDR, with 1/3 stop steps.

Last edited:
Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website (Learn More Here)

PNWPhotos.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

Back