For The Owl Folks...

PNWPhotos.com a friendly and growing community of photographers with an interest in the Pacific Northwest region. We feature a Photography Discussion Forum and Pacific Northwest Photo Gallery. It's a fun and friendly place to talk with other photographers, ask questions, share you knowledge, view and post photos and more!

A little piece of owl trivia.

Which species of owl is this one?
3660084_orig.jpg

7659669_orig.jpg

You got it Janice!

This is Hazel, the resident spotted owl from the Audubon Society. According to Hazel's handler, the vet really doesn't know why her feathers are turning abnormally white in areas.

Chad

Last edited:
Joe, you have been absent the past couple weeks, I hope all is well. This thread could use your expertise!
Flew into SeaTac late last night after 2 weeks in Baja Sur, and then there was the drive home! Good birds, hot and dry, etc., and now back to chilly and wet! Good to be home, though.
This SPOW appears to be a very leucistic rendition.

I've seen some photos of leucistic owls before. Not all white, but with some white plumage here and there. I wonder if it's something similar in this case.

Max

Welcome back Joe! Be sure to post some of those pics.

Fiz and Joe, thanks for your insight. From what the lady was saying, Hazel's feathers have gone from more normal colors for a spotted owl to turning white in areas over the past few years. Hazel is approximately 12. The Audubon Society has had her for about 10 years. BTW, Spotted Owls in captivity can live to be 25 years old.

Chad

This is Hazel, the resident spotted owl from the Audubon Society. According to Hazel's handler, the vet really doesn't know why her feathers are turning abnormally white in areas.

No wonder I couldn't identify the owl, she was wearing a disguise. :mad:

From what the lady was saying, Hazel's feathers have gone from more normal colors for a spotted owl to turning white in areas over the past few years. Hazel is approximately 12. The Audubon Society has had her for about 10 years. BTW, Spotted Owls in captivity can live to be 25 years old.

What hair I have left has been turning gray/white for the past 30+ years, no doubt due in part to my children.:(

More power to Hazel. I hope she lives far beyond 25 years of age. :eek:

Last edited:
Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website (Learn More Here)

PNWPhotos.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

Back