HDR - Chapel of the Holy Cross

PNWPhotos.com a friendly and growing community of photographers with an interest in the Pacific Northwest region. We feature a Photography Discussion Forum and Pacific Northwest Photo Gallery. It's a fun and friendly place to talk with other photographers, ask questions, share you knowledge, view and post photos and more!

I was in Sedona AZ recently for a wedding and stumbled upon the Chapel of the Holy Cross. A full moon and the beautifully lit chapel, cried out for HDR. This one used up 10 images. When finished running it through Photomatix and further tweaking in Lightroom, I wasn't happy with the sky. So I found the best sky from the 10 images and 'shopped that one in. I'm pretty happy with the results.

original.jpg

Last edited:
a neat job of processing work, but personally, it seems off somehow to me... i think it's the cliff and the trees being too brightly lit to go with the starry sky. it just doesn't quite "fit" if you know what i mean. then again, i'm not a fan of heavy HDR images, so what do i know? ;)

a neat job of processing work, but personally, it seems off somehow to me... i think it's the cliff and the trees being too brightly lit to go with the starry sky. it just doesn't quite "fit" if you know what i mean. then again, i'm not a fan of heavy HDR images, so what do i know? ;)

Bear in mind, it was a full moon, no cloud over the moon and the moon light was directed right at the cliffs.

This image is the donor for the sky, and you can see that the sky and the cliffs are pretty much the same as the HDR image. as far brightness goes. No editing done to this image. Only 55 seconds at f5.6 ISO 400. I used HDR mainly to pull details out of the very well lit chapel and from the dark details of the cliffs.

IMG_2624-1.jpg

Nice work. I wouldn't mind photographing this sometime. Are there multiple vantage points allowed for this?
The neighborhood near the chapel is all posted no parking. I found a spot that I believed was a valid parking spot and walked to the location. There was only really one or two good spots outside of the chapel property, which was gated closed at night.

Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website (Learn More Here)

PNWPhotos.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

Back