Hellooo friends...."Landrew loves you..." (sorry, Star Trek reference)

PNWPhotos.com a friendly and growing community of photographers with an interest in the Pacific Northwest region. We feature a Photography Discussion Forum and Pacific Northwest Photo Gallery. It's a fun and friendly place to talk with other photographers, ask questions, share you knowledge, view and post photos and more!

After my father passed away from cancer a few months ago I was looking through some of his things and came across a bunch of photos he had kept of mine when I was into photography in highschool...I thought at the time I had an eye for it but the expense and other things pulled me away to "life" etc...Anyway, I decided since everything had changed and digital made practicing essentially free, that I would look into getting a DSLR. I was pleasantly surprised that Nikon had just come out with this somewhat higher than middle range DSLR, the D7000, decided I could afford it and picked one up with the kit 18-105mm and also a 50mm 1.8 and a 55-300mm and took off to Taiwan to visit my brother who has been there teaching for 30 years...I'm trying to hook up with someone to be a wedding second shooter but know absolutely no one in photography and really need some critiqueing...so Brian from Ritz/Jantzen Beach recommended I register here and begin connecting with people...hope someone can look at these shots and give me suggestions on improving...very, very much appreciated! Respectfully, Cameron Ellsworth
(my photo examples are on the 2nd page of this thread)
http://www.flickr.com/photos/cameronellsworth/

Last edited:
I had already checked your pics out...

...and was VERY impressed...really loved all of it...now why can't I do that??!!! Thanks for taking a look at mine! I wish someone could give me some help or direction...could you be my mentor? Hah! Just kiddin'...like anybody has time for dragging around a newbie...just dead weight! I barely have figured out how to turn the damn thing on!

...and was VERY impressed...really loved all of it...now why can't I do that??!!! Thanks for taking a look at mine! I wish someone could give me some help or direction...could you be my mentor? Hah! Just kiddin'...like anybody has time for dragging around a newbie...just dead weight! I barely have figured out how to turn the damn thing on!

your doing well for " barely have figured out how to turn the damn thing on!"

The photo's in the provided link are pretty good for the street PJ (Photo Journalism) but there is some room for improvement. The problem is you have a couple of dozen photo's there so way to many to comment on, plus many people won't follow a link. Best bet would be to post 1 or 2 and get comments on those. Posting to many in a single thread will overwhelm people and you may not get any comments, or some general comments at best.

You willing to come to the Seattle area?

Great advice E...

I am now looking over my flickr photostream trying to come up with a few select samples...I'll get them uploaded to this thread as soon as I'm able...and yes I would love to come up to Seattle...actually I have an old college buddy that has his sound studio up there I've been meaning to visit!

Come on up, actually I'm in the Everett area, and we can do a shoot. I can arrange for a model if you want to shoot people outside. Plus a vintage car. :)

That would be amazing E...

...I'm shooting my nephews fight at the Roseland in PDX tomorrow, hopefully security leaves me alone, the promoter said I'd be okay but maybe I should take a copy of that email with me eh? Anyway...drop me an email when you get a chance and I'll make the road trip up to Everett...just keep in mind I'm scraping together my pennies just to get Lightroom 3 so I've just now started shooting in raw...I would really like some experience shooting a model in daylight using my flash off camera. I recently picked up an SB900...talk to you later! Thanks, Cameron Ellsworth cameronellsworth@operamail.com
p.s. can you send me in the direction of some of your work? thx!

Cameron, hello and welcome to the forum! Glad you found us, and my thanks to Brian for telling you about the site.

Looks like you're off to a good start with your photography! As others have pointed out, the best bet is to pick a photo or two that you want critiqued and post it here.

One more suggestion. You should send your e-mail in a Private Message rather than posting it online. Sooner or later some search engine will pick that up and you'll end up on all kinds of spam lists as well as getting e-mails from rich Princes who have lots of Ruples but no Scruples.

These you might like
http://www.pnwphotos.com/forum/showthread.php?t=3598

Just go under "Search" above and then select "Advanced Search" Enter ejones in the search box on the left for searching by user-id, and search for threads I posted in. Most I start have an image.

I have a shoot set up for the evening of the 23rd with a 1965 Marlin and a young teen who is supposed to try to put on a bit of a period look for this shoot. Come join us... we'll start around 6:30 in the eve.

Welcome to the forum! I like many of the photos you have on your Flickr account, especially the beach photos. Post to the critiques section if you want or just ask for comments when you post. Most of all, keep taking photos, practice new methods, and ask for pointers.

Okay thanks Jeremy...

I'll do that, and thank you for the compliment! Practice practice practice! Read read read...study study study...youtube youtube youtube!

Red White & Blue girl is a good shot except it's under exposed by about 1.5 stops. It could be fixed in post processing and if you don't mind I could show you.

Speeding family has a good use of motion blur. Might be a bit under exposed as well but I think works well as is.

Scooter family is a great PJ street capture.

Ocean beach is a tad off kilter. Horizons need to be level, especially when you have water like that.

Mr. Wood Duck is a bit under exposed as well. Not too much so can be fixed.

All of these I think show good composition and promise.

I used photo shop, duplicated the background layer (the base image) and changed the mode to "Screen". This lighted it and so I adjusted to taste. Simple....

totally lovin' it E...

my beautiful 4th of July girl and Taiwan duckies are mucho better...especially the girl...thankyou very much for the demo!!! If you spot any others at my flickr feel free...just show me the results! Sure hope I am able to make it up there next Saturday!

Someone may have a good trick in-camera for 2 different types of light sources. I'm suggesting metering the white balance for the subject.

I selected the riders and altered the color temperature. They are riding under street lights which are probably fluorescent and the store lights look like they are a different type. With the camera in Auto white balance it chose to meter for the store lights, and you have orange people.

Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website (Learn More Here)

PNWPhotos.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

Back