heron vs eagle

PNWPhotos.com a friendly and growing community of photographers with an interest in the Pacific Northwest region. We feature a Photography Discussion Forum and Pacific Northwest Photo Gallery. It's a fun and friendly place to talk with other photographers, ask questions, share you knowledge, view and post photos and more!

landscapes&birds

Today I watched a great blue heron get attacked by red-winged blackbirds for over an hour at Juanita Bay Park. The heron finally got a break from the attacks, and caught itself a fish to eat. Little did the heron know, that a bald eagle was perched on a tree above it, just waiting to steal its fish. I was fortunate enough to get a video recording of the eagle chasing the heron away from it's fish. Enjoy!

[video=youtube_share;EfohermfGyU]http://youtu.be/EfohermfGyU[/video]

Nice work, L&B! I just watched the video four times. It appears the heron was eying the eagle and got out of there just in the neck of time. Seems like the heron was going back to have a chat with the eagle at the end. What became of the scene? Looks like the eagle may have dropped the fish, did the heron retrieve it or did the heron continue on to go after the eagle?

Chad

Thanks so much Chad! I think the eagle took off with the fish, I have some photos of it landing on a platform right after this, and I thought I saw it holding something, but will check the photos later tomorrow. The heron returned to its fishing spot to get another fish.

Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website (Learn More Here)

PNWPhotos.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

Back