HOLY SMOKES...Tried some portrait work =O

PNWPhotos.com a friendly and growing community of photographers with an interest in the Pacific Northwest region. We feature a Photography Discussion Forum and Pacific Northwest Photo Gallery. It's a fun and friendly place to talk with other photographers, ask questions, share you knowledge, view and post photos and more!

Christena

My friend Mary got married last month. When I got there the hired photographer hadn't done any pre-ceremony photos of the Bridal Party. Unfortunately the bride was already made up and dressed so the opportunity for shots of the make-up and veil placement were gone but I had my camera and ran up and did what I could. CC's welcome but please keep in mind I have never tried to do this kind of thing before and I didn't have proper equipment and had to work with existing lighting and whatever the room had too offer :confused:
Luckily the Bride is gorgeous and had done some modeling and film work so she knew her camera angles already :) Here some of the best of just the bride...

SimmonsWedding001ps.jpg

SimmonsWedding011ps.jpg

SimmonsWedding013ps.jpg

SimmonsWedding014ps.jpg

SimmonsWedding016ps.jpg

SimmonsWedding040ps.jpg

SimmonsWedding041ps.jpg

SimmonsWedding035ps.jpg

I like what you have in the last one. She is standing far enough from the mirror that you can see an almost full reflection in it. It works for me.

I also like a lot of #2. I would suggest moving her away from the mirror for some shots though, there's a lot going on in the background. I'm envisioning the pose and angle from the second shot with her on a staircase? or some other form of natural framing.

looks like you placed the bride in front of a good light source. You should have used the window light.

I like what you have in the last one. She is standing far enough from the mirror that you can see an almost full reflection in it. It works for me.

I also like a lot of #2. I would suggest moving her away from the mirror for some shots though, there's a lot going on in the background. I'm envisioning the pose and angle from the second shot with her on a staircase? or some other form of natural framing.

Thank you for the comments and I wholeheartedly agree...the ceremony was at a church. The Church building was ugly-fugly...I did so much clone stamping in some of the shots...omgosh you have no idea :/ If there had been a beautiful stairway of some sort I would have been all over it. Where the ceremony took place was nice tho'. What do you think of the first one?

looks like you placed the bride in front of a good light source. You should have used the window light.

I did put her next to a window but it over looked a parking lot full of cars...in some of the shots I did in front of the window I cloned stamped out cars etc...

Had the bride paid the photographer for this coverage?

I'm guessing not...he was a personal friend of theirs also, either way I don't mind it was fun and a good opportunity too try something new. I'm not a professional but an amateur who prefers taking photos of nature when the mood strikes.

Your photos are excellent and thank you for posting as an example. I will remember your advice for the future. :)

I'm guessing not...he was a personal friend of theirs also,

Oohh. That's a thin line to walk. Paying a friend to do your wedding photography? Total conflict of interest. My wedding is fast approaching and I have several photographer friends, but I didn't ask any of them to cover my wedding.

Thank you for the comments and I wholeheartedly agree...the ceremony was at a church. The Church building was ugly-fugly...I did so much clone stamping in some of the shots...omgosh you have no idea :/ If there had been a beautiful stairway of some sort I would have been all over it. Where the ceremony took place was nice tho'. What do you think of the first one?

For a shot that is composed of mostly the reflection, I think that I would have tried to bring her away from the mirror, a little. Maybe isolate the mirror from the surroundings and use only one section of it.

One other suggestion: it may seem boring but if you dont have a good staircase/background, dont be afraid to shoot against a blank wall.

Oohh. That's a thin line to walk. Paying a friend to do your wedding photography? Total conflict of interest. My wedding is fast approaching and I have several photographer friends, but I didn't ask any of them to cover my wedding.

I would pay a friend for wedding photography. I would also pay a friend for construction work, or boat repair etc... What I mean is there doesn't have to be a conflict of interest. For my regular job (market analysis) I can't provide services for two competing clients because someone could say, "the numbers are skewed in favor of one market or another".

I dont see how there can be a "conflict" in wedding photography per se, but IMO it does no good to say you will photograph a wedding and not be there on time.

For my scenario, not sure how I would handle my wife hating photos I paid my friend to take. I'd never hear the end of it.

Yep, if you want your friends to stay your friends you don't have them shoot your wedding. I got a call one Wednesday to shoot a wedding that Friday cuz the "friend" couldn't do it now. Talked to another photog who did a wedding cuz the "friend" who was going to do it decided to go camping instead.

There's a little white balance issue but that's not a big problem. Pretty good shots and I'm sure the couple would be happy with them.

Well, thanks for all comments and critiques..most appreciative and I have learned a valuable lesson...Photographers don't do windows...just window light!!! ;) LOL

Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website (Learn More Here)

PNWPhotos.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

Back