I'm Back returns to Kickstarter with updated I'm Back 35 digital back for old 35mm SLRs

PNWPhotos.com a friendly and growing community of photographers with an interest in the Pacific Northwest region. We feature a Photography Discussion Forum and Pacific Northwest Photo Gallery. It's a fun and friendly place to talk with other photographers, ask questions, share you knowledge, view and post photos and more!

Swiss company I'm Back has returned to Kickstarter with another digital back product, this one following the previous models it sought crowdfunding for in 2016, 2017 and 2018. The new I'm Back 35 will be, according to the company, the only digital back product that can be paired with 'almost all the most famous analog cameras.' The I'm Back 35 will feature manual and automatic recording modes, improved battery performance, a new ergonomic design and other new technology if it ends up being produced.

im-back-35.jpg.optimal.jpg

The 'I'm Back 35' unit is designed to work with old analog SLR cameras that are still functional, yet obsolete. The digital back will replace the back cover on an old SLR to give it digital functionality and features, including a 2" touch display, external microphone support, USB-C, WiFi, support for syncing flash and a rather unimpreasive 14MP 1/2.33-type Panasonic 34112 compact image sensor.

3.jpg

The aluminum-based universal cover on I'm Back 35 supports 99 percent of existing 35mm analog cameras, according to the company. Should the I'm Back 35 see the light of day, its creators say the unit will have new software controls for the manual exposure function, an exclusive PCBA design and will use NP-F550 and NP-F570 batteries.

I'm Back says it offers dedicated back covers that improve the I'm Back 35's fit on customers' preferred analog cameras, including models like the Canon EOS 300, Ricoh KR10, Olympus OM10, Nikon F100, Leica M7, Diana F, Pentax K1000 and Yashica FX3, among others. I'm Back 35 will also include a universal back cover that can be used with most other 35mm analog cameras.

The new digital back will feature an 'M' button for switching between manual and automatic modes, a new focusing screen, new alignment and stability system, new clamps, micro HDMI and a microSD slot with support for cards up to 128GB capacity. The device, which is currently only shown as a prototype, captures images in JPEG and raw formats at 8MP to 14MP resolutions, plus video in MOV format at up to 4K/30fps.

2.jpg

Other technical features will include a built-in speaker and microphone, support for a 7.4V-1A power source, 1.5mm sync cable, and 3.5mm microphones, as well as PCs running Windows 2000 or higher and Macs running macOS 10.3.6 or higher.

The company notes that because its digital back uses a focusing screen, the images and video captured with I'm Back 35 won't be at the same quality level as content captured with a dedicated digital camera, but rather will 'resemble something between analog and digital.' Below are a few sample photos shared by the I'm Back team, captured with the working prototype:

I'm Back 35 follows the I'm Back MF digital back, which is currently in its final prototype stages, according to the company.

The new 35mm product is a bit cheaper at $349 retail price compared to the I'm Back MF's $400 price tag. I'm Back is offering its 35mm model to Kickstarter backers in exchange for pledges starting at CHF 249 (approximately $258). The backer kits include the I'm Back 35 digital module, universal back cover, sync cable, USB-C cable, rechargeable battery and battery charger. Assuming everything goes according to plan, I'm Back anticipates shipping its product to backers starting in December 2020.

You can find out more information and secure your pledge on the Kickstarter campaign.

Disclaimer: Remember to do your research with any crowdfunding project. DPReview does its best to share only the projects that look legitimate and come from reliable creators, but as with any crowdfunded campaign, there’s always the risk of the product or service never coming to fruition.

Continue reading...

Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website (Learn More Here)

PNWPhotos.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

Back