India 2015 Wildlife

PNWPhotos.com a friendly and growing community of photographers with an interest in the Pacific Northwest region. We feature a Photography Discussion Forum and Pacific Northwest Photo Gallery. It's a fun and friendly place to talk with other photographers, ask questions, share you knowledge, view and post photos and more!

fiznatty

I finally got around to processing and publishing the images from my early 2015 trip to India. I went there to do some scouting for potential tours, either centered around snow leopards or tigers (or both). Unfortunately, the trip was largely a bust. I did see three snow leopards, all quite far away, but there wasn't much other cooperative wildlife in the Himalayas. And then the tiger sightings were scant as well. So it may be a while before I return to India again.

Regardless, the full wildlife gallery from this trip may be viewed here. A short preview is below:

Chukar, a species of bird that's been introduced in many places across the globe (including the US) as a game bird, but is actually native to northern India.
chukar0215india4.jpg

Southern Plains Gray Langurs, a common sight in India's tiger parks.
langursouthernplainsgray0215india6.jpg

Chital, or spotted deer, the tiger's favorite prey animal.
chital0215india9.jpg

Golden jackal
jackalgolden0215india8.jpg

One of only three tigers I saw in three different parks. None of the sightings were great, but this was the closest. It was still dark, so I was shooting at ISO 6400-8000 during this encounter.
tigerbengal0215india34.jpg

White-throated kingfisher working on a freshwater crab.
kingfisherwhitethroated0215india5.jpg

Owls were about the only really cooperative animal. I saw four different species, including a few different Collared scops owls roosting in tree hollows.
owlcollaredscops0215india6.jpg

View the full photo gallery here.

Max

Thanks, Bill. In this case I was shooting with the Canon 500mm f/4 IS (version 1) and the 1DX body, which at the time was their strongest high ISO performer to date. Nonetheless, a lot of noise reduction was required for the early morning tiger photos.

Max

Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website (Learn More Here)

PNWPhotos.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

Back