Looking for birding shots

PNWPhotos.com a friendly and growing community of photographers with an interest in the Pacific Northwest region. We feature a Photography Discussion Forum and Pacific Northwest Photo Gallery. It's a fun and friendly place to talk with other photographers, ask questions, share you knowledge, view and post photos and more!

Susan B

Hello, I have just moved to Lake Stevens, Washington and I have seen lots of great birds but haven't found places to photograph the birds. Can anyone recommend any areas in the vicinity that are open to photographers?

Thank you,
Susan B

Welcome to the area... I'm just south of you in Snoho.

You might check out Spencer Island Park. It's in the flats just north of 2. You get there by heading North on B'way out of Everett, cross the Snoho River, got a little ways and hang a right.... You can find it on google maps. If you are lucky you'll see bald eagles there and blue heron. Lots of other winged creatures there too.

it's a bit farther than Spencer Island, but Juanita Bay Park in Kirkland is one of the better birding sites in the state. it's good year round, though of course the best time is between March and May. bald eagles are a frequent sight, as are blue herons. this time of year, look for green-winged teal, hooded mergansers, buffleheads, and wood ducks. occasionally you'll also see common mergansers, scaups, pintail or two, ringnecks, and of course tons of mallards. the last few years, there have also been swans wintering over there... a mix of trumpeters and tundra swans. in spring and summer, the blackbirds and swallows and finches and sparrows are everywhere, and you can find Bullock's orioles, hermit thrushes, kinglets, waxwings, and many others. virginia rail, green heron and bittern sightings are a bit less common. if you're lucky, you may also spot muskrat, otter, and beaver there.

i just moved up north to Marysville myself, but spent many pleasant afternoons at Juanita when i lived farther south... and i have the bird pics to prove it!! ;)

Here too
http://www.pnwhikes.com/hike.asp?hid=517 That's the Bob Heirman wildlife preserve.

i've been to that one, though it's been a while... lots of open space, with some possibilities once you get close to the river.

the advantage at Juanita is that the birds come in a lot closer than anywhere else i've been. you don't have to have a 500mm f/4 lens with a converter to get a good shot... i've gotten may great images with just my 100-400 on my 40D. i've shot green herons and bitterns from a dozen feet away, and had wood ducks - notoriously shy - swim within 20 feet. the boardwalks take you through wetland and willows, prime habitat for all manner of feathered friends.

If you want to stay closer to home, I recommend the Edmonds "Birdmuda Triangle: Marina Park (including the off leash dog beach at the south end of the marina), NE ---> the Willow Creek fish hatchery, NW ---> Shell Creek Spit on Puget Sound, then south along the Edmonds waterfront back to Marina Park. Included within the Birdmuda Triangle is the Edmonds marsh, the Pt. Edwards public walkway, Bracketts Landing (underwater dive park + ferry dock) Olympic Beach (marina + fishing pier) and Sunset Ave. Not within the triangle, but still close by is Yost Park in Edmonds and Scriber Lake in Lynnwood.

I am retired and spend most days photographing birds, trains, and sunsets within the Triangle, which is only a five minute drive from my home. I'll start some threads on photography in Edmonds and include the locations of my shots. Keep your eyes peeled for them.

I also suggest you subscribe to "Tweeters", a bulletin board where members report bird sightings. Go to the website and sign up to receive the e-mails.
http://www.scn.org/earth/tweeters/

Last edited:
I recommend the Edmonds "Birdmuda Triangle": Marina Park (including the off leash dog beach at the south end of the marina), NE to Willow Creek fish hatchery, NW to Shell Creek Spit on Puget Sound, then south along the Edmonds waterfront back to Marina Park. Included within the Birdmuda Triangle is the Edmonds marsh, the Pt. Edwards public walkway, Bracketts Landing (underwater dive park + ferry dock) Olympic Beach (marina + fishing pier) and Sunset Ave. Not within the triangle, but still close by, is Yost Park in Edmonds and Scriber Lake in Lynnwood.

I am retired and spend most days photographing birds, trains, and sunsets within the Triangle, which is only a five minute drive from my home. I'll start some threads on photography in Edmonds and include the locations of my shots. Keep your eyes peeled for them.

I also suggest you subscribe to "Tweeters", a bulletin board where members report bird sightings.

Last edited:
Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website (Learn More Here)

PNWPhotos.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

Back