Macro Photography

PNWPhotos.com a friendly and growing community of photographers with an interest in the Pacific Northwest region. We feature a Photography Discussion Forum and Pacific Northwest Photo Gallery. It's a fun and friendly place to talk with other photographers, ask questions, share you knowledge, view and post photos and more!

Judy N

I have been researching a Macro lens for my Canon EOS digital 50D and was wondering if any one has an opinion on what they like or don't like about macro lenses. I haven't really decided on any yet. Just in the early stages of finding one. Thanks.:)

I like my 100mm macro lens. While it's not L glass it's got great quality. I did consider the 50mm before buying it but decided I'd like to have the focal semi-telephoto length as well.

I also have the 100 2.8 macro, great piece of glass. There are alot of times though where the longer macro would be nice so as not to scare off little critters and such.

I use a Takumar 50mm F4 1:1 macro lens with my Canon 5d mkii and get amazing results. It's a 50 year old lens and strictly manual, but the images have amazing color saturation and sharpness and the thing is dirt cheap compared to the Canon macro lenses. I paid $6 for mine at a thrift store plus another $20 for an adapter, but the going rate on ebay is around $75. It's just a lot of fun to use. But I have used both the Canon 60mm F2.8 and the 100mm macro and they are both good lenses though. I'm not gonna lie.

This is handheld with the canon 100mm 2.8
4643931386_e1d04cf0d2_b.jpg

as were these
4114798645_1645b7ee32_o.jpg

I have the Canon 100mm macro and 180mm macro. I've used the 50mm macro.

The 50mm is too short for a lot of macro use. To get close enough to the subject, the lens actually ends up shading the subject. If you are trying to shoot bugs, that is close enough to scare them off.

The 100mm is probably the most popular. It is a reasonably priced lens, and is more practical than the 50mm for most uses. It is relatively lightweight. It isn't an "L" lens, but it is a prime, and a good one. Lots of people also use this as a portrait lens. At this focal length, it has lots of uses besides macro.

I love my 180mm macro. It is a fantastic lens. Super sharp. Gives more working distance than the others. When I shoot real macro, this is what I use 90% of the time. That being said, I really don't use it all that often. Except for dedicated macro work, it spends most of its time sitting on a shelf collecting dust. It is a pretty expensive lens for limited use. It is also longer and heavier than the other lenses. It comes with a tripod collar. It is too long to use with on-camera flash. You need a ring flash or some off camera flash if you need extra light.

So if you are serious about macro, and you have money to spare, you can't go wrong with the 180mm macro. Fantastic lens. But most people settle for the 100mm, which is a very nice lens for a LOT less money.

I use my Tamron 80-300 zoom. the macro range is 150-300 its can be tough because you are too far away............100mm sounds good too me!

Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website (Learn More Here)

PNWPhotos.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

Back