Marsh hare 6-20-18

PNWPhotos.com a friendly and growing community of photographers with an interest in the Pacific Northwest region. We feature a Photography Discussion Forum and Pacific Northwest Photo Gallery. It's a fun and friendly place to talk with other photographers, ask questions, share you knowledge, view and post photos and more!

Bill Anderson

Super Moderator
Staff member
Wednesday evening I photographed a rabbit at the Edmonds marsh near the #2 (main) viewing platform. It must have been very young as it was the smallest rabbit I have ever seen.

IMG_0001.jpg

I should have taken some wide-angle shots of the rabbit with the plants as background to give a size perspective as to how small the rabbit was.

IMG_0002.jpg

I have lived in Edmonds nearly 27 years. Although I have seen rabbits elsewhere in the area, I had never seen rabbits at the marsh or in my neighborhood until last year. Coincidentally, a rabbit was grazing in my front yard when I returned home from taking these photos. Someone told me these rabbits are eastern cottontails that were introduced into the state by hunters back in the 1920's and 30's.

Last edited:
2019 update: The marsh hares are reproducing like rabbits. A young one was present near the walkway Thursday afternoon (8-8-19). I had never seen one at the marsh until 2017. I think the coyotes are getting lazy.

04.jpg

05.jpg

Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website (Learn More Here)

PNWPhotos.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

Back