Mt Rainier Update

PNWPhotos.com a friendly and growing community of photographers with an interest in the Pacific Northwest region. We feature a Photography Discussion Forum and Pacific Northwest Photo Gallery. It's a fun and friendly place to talk with other photographers, ask questions, share you knowledge, view and post photos and more!

BobH

Administrator
Staff member
Update from Mt Rainer NP

‎18 inches of snow on the ground at Paradise! On the other side of the park, Mowich Lake Road, Sunrise Road and the White River Road to the campground have closed for the winter season.

We might be coming to Portland in the next week or two, its chains in the car!

Speaking of chains, here's a reminder...

Mount Rainier National Park Tire Chain Requirement:
All vehicles are required to carry tire chains when traveling in the park during the winter season (November 1 - May 1). This requirement applies to all vehicles (including four-wheel-drive), regardless of tire type or weather conditions.

http://www.nps.gov/mora/planyourvisit/tire-chain-faq.htm

BTW, they mean it. They will turn you back if you do not have chains. It doesn't matter if it's 70 and sunny without a cloud in the sky and you're driving a jeep with studded snow tires on it. Carry chains or get turned back at the entrance.

Last edited:
I am sure there are special places that chains are 100% required, but on both cars we have studless snow tires on, Les Schwab Tires here in John Day told me, if you have studless snow tires mounted and you EVER get requested to put chains on anyway, tell them at the road block to call Les Schwab main office in Prineville and Les Schwab would explain to them again that you DONT need chains on studless snow tires, Frankly I am waiting for that day, its a matter of when.

I am sure there are special places that chains are 100% required...

One of them is Mt Rainier National Park. Click on the link above for the detailed explanation.

When you come to the entry gate, where you pay the entry fee or show your pass, they ask if you are carrying chains. If the answer is "No", you don't get admitted. That is even true on days when the road is bare and dry.

Anyone who's seen what the weather on Rainier can do will understand why. Blizzard conditions or even worse, freezing rain, can quickly turn "the Road to Paradise" into "the Bobsled run from Hell"

Four-wheel drive and all-wheel drive vehicles must carry chains. While vehicles with all-wheel-drive capability and approved traction tires do have enhances traction, during the most extreme conditions this not sufficient for safe vehicle operations. Chains provide optimal traction in the most challenging road conditions.

Mount Rainier National Park requirements are similar to Washington Administrative Code (WAC) 204-24-050, which states that, for vehicles under 10,000 gross vehicle weight:

"When "chains required" signs are posted, all wheel drive vehicles shall be exempt from the chain requirement when all wheels are in gear and are equipped with approved traction devices as specified in WAC 204-24-020 provided that tire chains for at least one set of drive tires are carried in the vehicle."

i.e. You may not have to chain up, but you are required to carry chains. Should conditions deteriorate, you've got them. There is only road to and from Paradise. It's a windy and narrow two lane road that's steep in many places and has lots of hairpin curves.

Last edited:
I am sure there are special places that chains are 100% required, but on both cars we have studless snow tires on, Les Schwab Tires here in John Day told me, if you have studless snow tires mounted and you EVER get requested to put chains on anyway, tell them at the road block to call Les Schwab main office in Prineville and Les Schwab would explain to them again that you DONT need chains on studless snow tires, Frankly I am waiting for that day, its a matter of when.

Make sure you call the Bend office since Les Schwab moved ;)

Last March we saw a guy with a 4wd truck and snow tires get turned around. He was yelling at the girl at the road block and in about 15 seconds the law enforcement ranger showed up. I'd carry chains in winter. In April or May you can just lie to them and tell them they're in the trunk, they don't actually check in good weather.

OK! Bend whatever!! I do carry them I am not stupid, but if I ever get stopped on Mt Hood and get told to put them on I will, but the road block will get the message to call Les Schwab!

Lester can say what he want's :) and it comes down to who defines what "NEED" means and what authority the person has with whom you are speaking and I suspect the park ranger will feel they out rank Les. Sure you can tell the ranger to call someone but I suspect that would fall on deaf ears.

ejones, I dont see a Lester on here, who is it? and no I am not sure everybody can say everything on here, about a year ago, I got the lecture from another member on here about something I said, I did NOT think it was an issue, Back then if I could have found a link to shut my account off or just not ever show up here. Maybe I will send a private message to Bob, if he is willing to hear me out. It works both ways too, If I had decided to contact Les Schwab Tires, I am SURE I am capable of figuring out the office had moved...

I dont mean to offend anyone in here and as far as I am concerned I never have, but if I get the treatment back I have the right to defend myself...do I not? I've been offended by some statements on here and cant do anything about it. I hope all here have a great night!

Everybody be safe out there. There can be conditions where they require chains even with studs. I used to carry them even when I had studs on my Subaru. I have slid with studs and have put chains on over studs in a situation a few years ago.

Edit:
Here is additional info about chains in Oregon.
http://www.tripcheck.com/Pages/RCMap.asp?mainNav=RoadConditions&staticNav=ChainLaws

One important quote.
"However, in very bad winter road conditions all vehicles may be required to use chains regardless of the type of vehicle or type of tire being used (this is known as a conditional road closure)."

Last edited:
Long time ago my father was coming up Mt Hood from Portland, road block told him to put chains on if he wanted to go through, he did, went 1/4 mile around a corner, stopped, took the chains off, threw them into the trunk, drove home, and no he didn't wreck, he died of old age 3 1/2 years ago...

I dont mean to offend anyone in here and as far as I am concerned I never have, but if I get the treatment back I have the right to defend myself...do I not? I've been offended by some statements on here and cant do anything about it. I hope all here have a great night!

Snuffy, I wouldn't get offended by anything said here. My comment about Les Schwab was made in jest, hence the ;) . It's tough to convey your intent behind a sentence online without the usual cues people pick up on when talking in person. Best to just assume things aren't intended to be offensive online as typically they aren't.

Snuffy, I wouldn't get offended by anything said here. My comment about Les Schwab was made in jest, hence the ;) . It's tough to convey your intent behind a sentence online without the usual cues people pick up on when talking in person. Best to just assume things aren't intended to be offensive online as typically they aren't.

Forums, emails etc. can be a minefield sometimes.

There's no reason to take offense. People disagree on occasions. People also say things in jest that can be taken wrong. That's the way forums work. The best thing you can do is to shrug it off and move on to another discussion. Even friends don't always agree, but they can agree to disagree and move on. Intentional or accidental, don't let a bad comment annoy you.

Last edited:
Lester can say what he want's :) and it comes down to who defines what "NEED" means and what authority the person has with whom you are speaking and I suspect the park ranger will feel they out rank Les. Sure you can tell the ranger to call someone but I suspect that would fall on deaf ears.

I'm pretty certain you won't get an exception. Consider it this way, there's almost no benefit to the ranger to let you in without chains (it makes you happy, but does he/she really care?), and there's significant risk, up to losing his job for not following regulations or getting blamed if there is an accident.

Because of that, a low level employee is very unlikely to make an exception. Front line employees are supposed to follow the rules, not make decisions on their own. That's one reason they make the rules the way they are. By saying "All vehicles must have chains between these dates" it eliminates any judgement calls, (Is the weather good enough, are those the right tires, does this vehicle qualify?) and actually makes it easy for everyone.

A similar situation: I shoot a lot of festivals during the summer, and they often have beer gardens. I've noticed that I get carded when entering. Now it's more likely I'll be mistaken for Santa than I would for a 20 year old kid, but they still ask me to show ID and then give me a wrist band. When I asked a promoter "Why are they carding somebody who's over 50?" the reply was "The rule is "Card EVERYONE, period". It removes any judgement calls, and avoids the "How come you carded me but not him?" issue. Simple is also easy..." If the Liquor Board shows up and asks, we can honestly say "Everyone has proper ID".

LOL...... looks like new forum rules are needed. No discussions involving religion, politics and now snow chains. ;)

Lester is what I used for "Les Schwab" and thought it would be clear from the context of the postings, but maybe not.

I certainly wasn't arguing with anyone and didn't mean to offend and don't think you've offended anyone either. I was simply added a couple of thoughts to the situation in what I thought was a bit of a light hearted way.

Chains

Lester is what I used for "Les Schwab" and thought it would be clear from the context of the postings, but maybe not.

I certainly wasn't arguing with anyone and didn't mean to offend and don't think you've offended anyone either. I was simply added a couple of thoughts to the situation in what I thought was a bit of a light hearted way.

Well, I have to admit dont remember what it was but something set me off, not in here, but I tend to throw my frustrations where I might be, so I do opologize to everyone, but for my own record I am still going to find out what they say about those tires. Anyway, I hope all you fellow members have a great weekend,

Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website (Learn More Here)

PNWPhotos.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

Back