New Feature - "Featured"

PNWPhotos.com a friendly and growing community of photographers with an interest in the Pacific Northwest region. We feature a Photography Discussion Forum and Pacific Northwest Photo Gallery. It's a fun and friendly place to talk with other photographers, ask questions, share you knowledge, view and post photos and more!

BobH

Administrator
Staff member
I've added a new feature, "featured discussions". We now have a new front page for the forum. I installed it last week, and never got around to finishing setting it up before the Mt Rainier Railroad announced they were closing... wait. NOT closing... OK, we're closing but we're gonna sell the railroad... That fiasco kept me busy over at railroadforums, but they finally calmed down a bit and I was able to finish setup.

Instead of landing on a page that mostly features text, now the landing page is full of images.

Have a look, and see what you think:

Note that https://pnwphotos.com is automatically re-directed to the new page.

But Bob! I want the old front page back! I could find stuff and it has a list of new threads and I know how it works and...

No worries. Click "Home" and you'll find the normal home page, same as it was before.

BobH

Administrator
Staff member
I'm open for feedback on this one. Also, I'd like to have it feature photos from the gallery but that isn't supported at this time, other than the "new" filmstrip at the top. I've asked the developer about adding it, but guessing it won't happen any time soon.

Bill Anderson

Super Moderator
Staff member
I will send a link to the Featured page when trying to recruit new members. It has a more dynamic look than the regular home page.

BobH

Administrator
Staff member
I will send a link to the Featured page when trying to recruit new members. It has a more dynamic look than the regular home page.

Bill, the "more dynamic look" is exactly what I had in mind, and I'm glad you think it looks better.

However, no need for a special link. It's now the default landing page. pnwphotos.com is all you need to tell them. When they type that, it redirects to the featured page now. Before it went to the "home" forum page. Give it a try in your browser, just make sure it doesn't add anything when you type it, sometimes they remember where you were and autocomplete.

BobH

Administrator
Staff member
The intent is to make it more invited, more dynamic and have more photos. (Imagine that). I think of it as kind of a magazine cover.

10 years ago, I'd have done a fancy landing page, with a big photo of Mount Rainier and maybe background music and the logo floats in animated. But now web designers realized "Ain't nobody got time for that shit!" so this seems to be a good approach.

BobH

Administrator
Staff member
I’ve tried to feature all the regulars. If anyone has a thread they think I should feature, let me know. Generally, member created content will get priority.

Bill Anderson

Super Moderator
Staff member
You might look at my Edmonds Bird thread and see if it fits your needs. My feelings won't be hurt if it doesn't as it and my Backyard Critter thread get a lot of hits anyway.

Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website (Learn More Here)

PNWPhotos.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com