Odd Left Leg on Hawk

PNWPhotos.com a friendly and growing community of photographers with an interest in the Pacific Northwest region. We feature a Photography Discussion Forum and Pacific Northwest Photo Gallery. It's a fun and friendly place to talk with other photographers, ask questions, share you knowledge, view and post photos and more!

Any ideas on this bird's left leg?

Attachments

• Hawk _M0A0468DLChally©2015.jpeg
    Hawk _M0A0468DLChally©2015.jpeg
    65 KB · Views: 300
I forwarded a copy of your photo to a friend who is an expert on raptors. Hopefully he will have an idea.

The outline of the leg seems to be visble down the center of the furry block. I caught sight of him through my dining room window. He turned his head over his shoulder, scanned the area quickly before exiting over the fence. The three or four shots I got were basically identical. I didn't notice the leg until reviewing the photo later.

I forwarded a copy of your photo to a friend who is an expert on raptors. Hopefully he will have an idea.

Here is my friend's reply: Hard to say. Could be a broken leg. Could just be stretching it out.

I think the hawk is a juvenile sharp-shinned hawk. Sharpies and Cooper's hawks have "pantaloon" feathers on the upper part of their legs. It could be that the hawk was stretching its left leg and exposing the "pantaloon" feathers at an unusual angle when you snapped the photo. Or, as my friend suggested, the leg is broken and is dangling, thus exposing the "pantaloon" feathers.

Last edited:
Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website (Learn More Here)

PNWPhotos.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

Back