Owl Spotting in Tryon Creek State Park, Portland.

PNWPhotos.com a friendly and growing community of photographers with an interest in the Pacific Northwest region. We feature a Photography Discussion Forum and Pacific Northwest Photo Gallery. It's a fun and friendly place to talk with other photographers, ask questions, share you knowledge, view and post photos and more!

JaniceL

Super Moderator
Staff member
Just a head's up, the owls are active in Tryon Creek. The Barred owls in particular are easy to find. The Great Horned Owls have become more reclusive since last year. I think the paparazzi got to them and they moved their nest, but they can be seen from time to time.

Hare is a Barred Owl from today.
6977241650_fe2a0e044b_b.jpg

6977241498_049d2f8bcd_c.jpg

great shots! ya know, much as i hate to admit it, i have yet to get a shot of an owl in the wild!! :eek:

great shots! ya know, much as i hate to admit it, i have yet to get a shot of an owl in the wild!! :eek:

All in good time. It seems they are pretty easy once you learn where they are this time of year. They don't move very far.

I really want to get a barred owl, so I admire these a lot. There's an owl walk this evening in Seattle's Lincoln Park that I'm tempted to join since this species is the main target.

If not, I may have to drive further south. ;)

Max

Check out ebird.org there are a few around Seattle Tacoma. [Discovery Park, Interlaken Park (recently posted)]

Although if you find your way far enough south I'll share the location here with you.

Janice, thanks for the note on Seattle locations. I was just down in that area over the last couple days and had no idea there had been sightings. Will definitely have to check them out.

Max

A few of my shots taken at Tryon Creek this past spring. These are Barred Owls..
2038874_orig.jpg

7335846_orig.jpg

1040628_orig.jpg

Barred owlets
7593787_orig.jpg

950862_orig.jpg

Here's a Great Horned Owl..
4538019_orig.jpg

I stopped by the visitor center yesterday to look at the sightings board. there has been a couple of recent Barred Owl sightings, have you seen anything recently, Janice?

Last edited:
Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website (Learn More Here)

PNWPhotos.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

Back