Playing with long exposure at Night

PNWPhotos.com a friendly and growing community of photographers with an interest in the Pacific Northwest region. We feature a Photography Discussion Forum and Pacific Northwest Photo Gallery. It's a fun and friendly place to talk with other photographers, ask questions, share you knowledge, view and post photos and more!

DiamondCactus

I have really been into night photography and long exposures lately so here are some of my attempts.

I will that any advice you have.

some from Sat night 03/26/11
5567054716_edd954d84f.jpg

5566459925_fc60bded2b.jpg

5567032068_9d2f0a6c07.jpg

some from Gig Harbor 03/23/11

5559102363_188837e49f.jpg

5559089821_dbdb02d8db.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
I have really been into night photography and long exposures lately so here are some of my attempts.

I will that any advice you have.

Well, my first suggestion is to make the images bigger, so folks can see them more easily. I think there's detail in there that's getting lost.

That said, I really like these shots. The first two are my favorites. Amazing what a long exposure can do to the water, isn't it? Looks as calm and still as a mill pond in that shot. Now, I've been out on the Bay during some pretty calm water (Ever seen somebody try to row a Tall Ship to turn it into the wind? I have, it was that calm...) Still, the water never looked that glassy smooth, so that's a neat effect.

The shot of the Simpson Mill is also nice. The Aroma of Tacoma is pretty much gone, but that the plant still belches smoke and steam into the air like a Pittsburgh Steel Mill. Amazing what it looks like on a cold day, and you've done a great job of capturing that.

The third one is nice too, but the pilings and pier in the first one really make the shot, and the colors work better in my opinion.

I like the colors in picture 4 but the composition of number 1 is great.

Also like the blurred steam and the reflections of the lights in 2.

By the way, there's a fellow on Facebook who does something similiar, but he does the during the day. The water takes on a misty milky look, almost like fog, and he often has cloudy skies.

How does he do the shots in daytime? He stacks Neutral Density (ND) filters to the point where they're only slightly more transparent than his lens cap. :) That gets him the very long exposure he's looking for, and he often shoots at dawn or dusk.

Doing the shots at night adds the lights from the houses etc, which really adds to the effect. Nicely done.

I think I agree with Bob. I would love to see more of the detail in them. They are beautiful. Especially the first two.

Also, I think you live in the perfect area for nightshooting and am looking forward to seeing more.

Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website (Learn More Here)

PNWPhotos.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

Back