Portland MAX Light Rail

PNWPhotos.com a friendly and growing community of photographers with an interest in the Pacific Northwest region. We feature a Photography Discussion Forum and Pacific Northwest Photo Gallery. It's a fun and friendly place to talk with other photographers, ask questions, share you knowledge, view and post photos and more!

Mike-PDX

Some scenes from around Portland on MAX. C&C welcome/encouraged!

1. Stop in the name of art! Rockwood station in Gresham.
6319145285_12a0870a10_o_d.jpg

2: A little morning fog over the city. Shot from a MAX train on the Steel Bridge.
6354897649_24cc5694a4_o_d.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
"Tree Tunnel" is outstanding! While I wish the front of the train was a little sharper, the train draws my eye right into the center of the photo. The vivid colors and interplay of the leaves on the trees with the leaves on the ground with the twinkle lights and the reflections in the puddles make me want to look and look and look at this photo.

Mike, we just went thru the Rockwood Station on Sunday, looking good but I will be glad when thats done..LOL

OK, I'll give my impressions of a couple of them.

Image #1. This is apparently a monument to, in no particular order, #2 pencils, breast cancer awareness and Hedgehogs...

Great color and saturation, you really got the exposure quite nicely.

I think the image needed rotating a bit to the right, so here's my version.

View attachment 7825

Unfortunately, the construction detracts from the image, unless that's what you're documenting. If the shot is to show "Here's the construction of a new station", then it works. Otherwise, it's somewhat distracting in my opinion. The orange cones and the like catch your eye.

What can you do about that? Well, uh, nothing that I can think of other than go back when they're done. Lousy answer, eh?

The other option would be to try and different angle and/or go in tight on the sculpture, but then you lose the context.

Thanks Bob for the feedback. Yes it was really just a "what the heck are they doing?" kind of shot. I initially thought the cones helped give it that construction feel. After I saw it on the screen, though, I wished I had got much closer and shot with a wide angle from a low vantage point to get just the flagger with stop sign and the sculpture.

Sometimes I simply don't understand these public art installations.

Thanks! I was experimenting with slow shutter speeds, and this one turned out to be just "in between" - not slow enough to give the train the blur I was hoping for, and not fast enough to freeze it.

The tunnel blur shot is cool, but there's a problem with the blur. It was bugging me too, and I finally figured it out...

> I wish the front of the train was a little sharper....

Exactly, the front is blurred, but ONLY the front. I don't know if you were trying to show motion, and using a blur (I'm guessing that you were) or you got the blur simply due to slow shutter speed.

The problem is that only the very front of the train is blurred. It's like tilting your image. For something like that to work, it has to be obvious it was intentional. My suggestion? Go for MORE blur. Use a slower shutter speed, so the train blurs the entire length, and it's clear you intended to show the motion.

Check out this (obviously) Photoshopped version. Suddenly it looks like the controller on that car goes to "Warp Factor 10". :)

It also leaves no doubt the blur is intentional and does indeed imply motion.

View attachment 7826

The other option is to get enough light to get a crisp sharp shot. (October in Portland... Good luck with that...) and when you do, the train will appear to be stopped, which probably isn't what you're looking for.

Thanks Bob for the feedback. Yes it was really just a "what the heck are they doing?" kind of shot. I initially thought the cones helped give it that construction feel. After I saw it on the screen, though, I wished I had got much closer and shot with a wide angle from a low vantage point to get just the flagger with stop sign and the sculpture.

Sometimes I simply don't understand these public art installations.

If you want the construction shot, then it's a great shot. Go back later and get the final installation, and you'll have a nice pair of images.

One more comment on the last shot. I'd actually like to see the train blurred but the front be sharp.

The only way I can think to do that would be to use a couple of strobes down near the track and set them for rear curtain sync. You'd need a couple of helpers to hold your strobes, and a couple of radio poppers or the linke. You'd also have to hope that you don't get arrested for temporarily blinding the operator. Yeah, that's probably not a good idea. If you had permission, and could work out the details, it could be a cool shot.

Maybe you cheat and do it in post, compositing a crisp shot of one train with a blur shot of another. Of course you'd have to line them up exactly, which would be nearly impossible.

Heck, maybe doing it in Photoshop like I did (but better) is the only logical option?

Yep that does have a bit of Starship Enterprise feel. :) The shutter speed was 1/15 sec, and it looks like I needed 1/8 or maybe 1/4 for this to work right. Possible, but pretty slow for hand-held, even with image stabilization.

Live and learn, right?

Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website (Learn More Here)

PNWPhotos.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

Back