PNWPhotos.com a friendly and growing community of photographers with an interest in the Pacific Northwest region. We feature a Photography Discussion Forum and Pacific Northwest Photo Gallery. It's a fun and friendly place to talk with other photographers, ask questions, share you knowledge, view and post photos and more!

cavuken

I went searching for the Green Heron at Sprague's Pond today. I found it but it was not very cooperative. I did get a few good shots of some of the other birds:
FZ7A1564.jpgFZ7A1574.jpgFZ7A1622.jpgFZ7A1633.jpg

squirl033

Super Moderator
Staff member
you got a kinglet to hold still for you! well done! looks like i may need to pop down there soon and have a look around myself...

cavuken

I am fairly new to this area and don't know much history of birding at Scriber Lake. I posted the Green Heron sighting and photo on Western Washington Birding Facebook page. Another birder advised me that a pair of Green Herons nested at Sprague's Pond last year and raised two chicks. Since I only live 5 minutes from there I am looking forward to following them this year if they nest again.

Bill Anderson

Super Moderator
Staff member
Across Cedar Valley Road from Mini Park/Sprague Pond is Scriber Creek Park. Located within that park is a small pond where I once photographed a green heron eating a bullfrog tadpole. Another time I startled a green heron at the pond. It flew west to Mini Park/Sprague Pond. A local bird photographer told me that his wife found a green heron nest at Sprague Pond. These sightings lead me to believe there is a resident pair of green herons that commute between Mini Park/Sprague Pond and Scriber Creek Park.

I have also seen green herons, including juvies, at Scriber Lake Park and adults at Lake Ballinger Park in Mountlake Terrace. Last summer there was an adult that hung out at the retention pond at the end of the Pt. Edwards walkway in Edmonds. It was probably the same one I had photographed at the nearby marsh.

Last edited:

cavuken

Today at Sprague's Pond a Bald Eagle flew in and scattered all the ducks and geese. He landed in the top of a pine directly across from the small parking/playground area. I readied my camera and rechecked my settings. I just knew he would try to take one of the ducks. After an hour and 15 minutes of waiting he flew away north and never attempted a strike. Interestingly all the waterfowl seemed to return to business as usual after about 10 minutes. I know eagles grab a lot of ducks but this one didn't even give it a try.FZ7A2452.jpg

squirl033

Super Moderator
Staff member
good catch. he'd probably eaten recently and wasn't hungry so much as just checking out the menu for future reference...

cavuken

I picked up a few more birds at Scriber Lake the past few days.
FZ7A2728.jpg
The Pileated Woodpecker was working on lunch when a Flicker showed up. They eyed each other for a few seconds and then the Pileated rushed the smaller bird which wisely flew away.
FZ7A2730.jpg
The Pileated quickly returned to feeding
FZ7A2741.jpg

Bill Anderson

Super Moderator
Staff member
Later this spring keep your eyes open for juvie Cooper's hawks. A few years ago I photographed fledglings chasing each other around the west end park. It was easy to locate them by their constant calling to each other.

Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website (Learn More Here)

PNWPhotos.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com