Snow bunting (AKA the "toasted marshmallow)

PNWPhotos.com a friendly and growing community of photographers with an interest in the Pacific Northwest region. We feature a Photography Discussion Forum and Pacific Northwest Photo Gallery. It's a fun and friendly place to talk with other photographers, ask questions, share you knowledge, view and post photos and more!

squirl033

Super Moderator
Staff member
Made the trek from Chehalis up to Stanwood a couple of weeks ago to see the snow bunting that's been calling Eide Road home for the past month and a half or so. I'd seen these little birds before a couple of times, but never gotten a decent phot of one, so I bit the bullet and made the journey, figuring I could make it a 2-fer day and stop in Seattle to give my friend a look at the snowy owl at Queen Anne, since she'd never seen one. The snow bunting did not disappoint; we spent about 90 minutes with her, and between us took close to 2,000 photos (my friend has a heavy trigger finger, and at 10 fps, it didn't take her long to amass over 1,500 frames!). The bunting was very cooperative, not in the least afraid of photographers, and happily foraged in the grass only 12-15 feet away...

IMG_9285 crop sm.jpg

IMG_9275 sm.jpg
IMG_9478 crop sm.jpg
IMG_9301 crop sm.jpg
t

As soon as I saw the word "Bunting" I raced to your post to see what this subspecies looked like compared to the more known Bunting with the brightly colored feathers. This one is just as beautiful as the Painted Bunting in its own way. I wish they inhabited the west coast, N. Cal to be exact. Thanks for the nicely done images.

Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website (Learn More Here)

PNWPhotos.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

Back