So a Beetle and a Chipmunk walk into a bar

PNWPhotos.com a friendly and growing community of photographers with an interest in the Pacific Northwest region. We feature a Photography Discussion Forum and Pacific Northwest Photo Gallery. It's a fun and friendly place to talk with other photographers, ask questions, share you knowledge, view and post photos and more!

Christena

FishLake7-5-11009ps.jpg

This little beetle posed so well for me :)

FishLake7-5-11004ps.jpg

This little guy raided our camping supplies and ran off w/ some grape tomatoes...can't take your eyes off them for one second!!

I've been wanting a shot of one of those green "metal flake" beetles for a long time. That's amazing coloration. It would really work well as a macro shot.

As for the squirrel, you're right, he's a bit fuzzy. In fact, the whole photo is a bit soft. It looks like maybe you cropped this from a bigger image? If it's not cropping that's to blame, then the most likely suspect is camera motion when you took the shot. Folks tend to "punch" the shutter, which is the wrong thing to do. You need to squeeze it gently and smoothly.

Why am I guessing it might be camera movement? Had it been a focus point problem, say the focus point locked onto the rocks or background, then some part of the shot would be in sharp focus. Since it's pretty much uniformly soft, that means it's likely a bit of blur.

Christina I LOVE that first image WOW, the colors are fantastic, nice and sharp, great composition and great textures....you nailed it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Cool little beetle with sweet colors!

BTW, the second one is a golden-mantled ground squirrel. While they are similar in appearance, the squirrel is around 2 times the size of a chipmunk and doesn't have the stripes running up the sides of its head ;)

Dave

So a Beetle and a Chipmunk walk into a bar

BTW, the second one is a golden-mantled ground squirrel. While they are similar in appearance, the squirrel is around 2 times the size of a chipmunk and doesn't have the stripes running up the sides of its head ;)

Dave

... and the Chimpmunk says to the Beetle "Hurry, we don't want to be late for the costume party!" ;)

I have my camera set on 9 point focus, (default) have to watch which point locks in, or I miss the good shot, like I have any yet..LOL
I know, I have a ways to go before I hit the "Photo of the day"

Snuffy,

I have my camera set on 9 point focus, (default) have to watch which point locks in, or I miss the good shot, like I have any yet..LOL
I know, I have a ways to go before I hit the "Photo of the day"

Just to be clear, "Photo of the day" is chosen based on several factors, including subject matter, Northwest theme, technical quality and how well the photo will translate to the small thumbnails they use on Facebook.

It's also somewhat arbitrary, and in some cases I look until I find a photo that I like and that fits the criteria well, then stop looking. That may mean that there's a better photo out there that I've overlooked.

So, even if your photo isn't perfect, if it's an interesting subject, and has a decent image quality, you may have your shot featured one of these days.

Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website (Learn More Here)

PNWPhotos.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

Back