Some of my favorite photos from 2013

PNWPhotos.com a friendly and growing community of photographers with an interest in the Pacific Northwest region. We feature a Photography Discussion Forum and Pacific Northwest Photo Gallery. It's a fun and friendly place to talk with other photographers, ask questions, share you knowledge, view and post photos and more!

JDueckPhoto

Here are a couple of images that I like from 2013.

Senior picture "high jump"
ChrisColorPics2013 (16).jpg

My white Shepard on snow
DSC_4286.jpg

Old lighthouse
DSC_4414.jpg

Long beach WA sunset
DSC_4489.jpg

Caramel Coffee
DSC_5032.jpg

The value of intensity
DSC_7220-2.jpg

...and focus (this one was purchased for local newspaper printing)
DSC_7575.jpg

Macro lens test
DSC_8159.jpg

Oregon tulip
DSC_8164.jpg

This picture was taken standing in our campsite on a lake. 1.5sec shutter.
DSC_8872.jpg

One more picture

Senior photo (this one looks overexposed because of editing but its adjusted for brightness with the histogram)
DSC_9686.jpg

WOW! I like them all but the sports shots are awesome. Your dog is beautiful adorable at the same time, (especially the quizzical head tilt).

...and focus (this one was purchased for local newspaper printing)

I can see why! One of my goals this year is to get out and shoot some baseball photos.

All of these are really good. How did you achieve the detail in the seagull at sunset, fill flash?

I can see why! One of my goals this year is to get out and shoot some baseball photos.

All of these are really good. How did you achieve the detail in the seagull at sunset, fill flash?

Baseball photos are fun to take but I think I enjoy being outdoors on a sunny day with the sounds of the game as much as anything. As long as the parents behave that is :)

I have to attribute the seagull detail to the power of the Nikon D4 image sensor. I couldn't have pulled that shadow detail up on my older cameras like the D700. A person could always shoot for a middle ground (halfway between the sunset reflection and the shadows) and then pull brights down and shadows up. In this case I exposed for the sun and was able to get an almost black bird to show good detail. Some time in LR4 & Photoshop helped too.

I have to attribute the seagull detail to the power of the Nikon D4 image sensor. I couldn't have pulled that shadow detail up on my older cameras like the D700. A person could always shoot for a middle ground (halfway between the sunset reflection and the shadows) and then pull brights down and shadows up. In this case I exposed for the sun and was able to get an almost black bird to show good detail. Some time in LR4 & Photoshop helped too.

Yes, it's amazing what the new gear can do. I recently had a shot that was about two stops over-exposed. A few moments in LightRoom and the shot looked halfway decent. A bit grainy, but consider I expected I wouldn't be able to do anything with it, it wasn't that bad. I also routinely pull all kind of details out of the shadows now. As you said, the older gear just doesn't have the same range.

Some of my most enjoyable shots have come from shooting the moon in different phases.

Moon0714.jpg

This one was digiscoped from the back porch in July.

It's especially useful if you need to document rarities that just won't let you get close enough for a decent shot.

Can you give us the comparable full frame focal length (or close to it) for your digiscope setup? My farthest reach with my current setup is 630mm on a crop body.

Last edited:
Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website (Learn More Here)

PNWPhotos.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

Back