Soundscapes

PNWPhotos.com a friendly and growing community of photographers with an interest in the Pacific Northwest region. We feature a Photography Discussion Forum and Pacific Northwest Photo Gallery. It's a fun and friendly place to talk with other photographers, ask questions, share you knowledge, view and post photos and more!

Bill Anderson

Super Moderator
Staff member
Tuesday (5/21) I was parked on Sunset Ave. in Edmonds. A white sailboat and gull presented bright contrasts to the dark clouds rolling across Puget Sound at the time.

Unprocessed shots.
01.JPG

02.JPG

Post processing with Picasa's auto contrast feature, which I think is more representative of what I saw compared to the unprocessed photos.
03.JPG

04.JPG

05.JPG

Bill Anderson

Super Moderator
Staff member
Our "spring" weather has not been conducive to sunsets and for the past month I have spent evenings hunting the elusive barred owls of Yost Park. Sunday (6/2) my aunt and uncle invited my family and I over to their house for dinner. They live in the Emerald Hills development of the Edmonds Bowl and have a beautiful view of Puget Sound from their back deck. I took along my photo equipment to get some shots after dinner.

Here are some afterset shots I took looking across Puget Sound.

7D + 100-400L telephoto zoom
Ship passing the south end of Whidbey Island.
01.JPG

Point No Point
02.JPG

Crab boat
03.JPG

Heading for home
04.JPG

Crab boat, tug, and barge
05.JPG

Last edited:

Bill Anderson

Super Moderator
Staff member
An ethereal/surrealistic/artsy (pick one) shot of Point No Point from Sunset Ave. in Edmonds on 6-6-13.

01.JPG

Bill Anderson

Super Moderator
Staff member
Time to revisit this thread. Although I got some good eagle shots Wednesday (2/26/14), I am not posting them because they look like so many of the other eagle shots I have recently posted.

These were taken handheld with the 5DIII + 100-400L telephoto zoom + 1.4 teleconverter looking west across Puget Sound from Marina Park. Besides cropping, I used Picasa's auto contrast + auto color features to tweek the photos. Call it the techno-impaired man's Photoshop.

The evil minions of the Dark Lord are hopeless posers. I wanted to shoot in Av mode at f/16 to get the mountains in focus, but the crow flew off before I could make the adjustments to my camera.
01.JPG

Winter arrived very late this year. Snow storms from the past two weeks have given the Olympic Mountains the proper seasonal look.
02.JPG

Close up of the container ship. I should e-mail these photos to Evergreen to see if they would purchase them for ads or PR purposes.
05.JPG

03.JPG

Free Photo Lesson: Pay attention to the background. I did not notice the distant ferry on the right side of the photo. I should have taken a few more shots with it completely in the frame.
04.JPG

Last edited:

Bill Anderson

Super Moderator
Staff member
Friday (2/28) afternoon the Edmonds waterfront got hammered by a combination of high tides + high winds.

01.JPG

02.JPG

03.JPG

04.JPG

05.JPG

Bill Anderson

Super Moderator
Staff member
Thursday (11/6/14) was a November afternoon of high wind + high tide.

I started off at Marina Beach, where the waves were breaking on the rocks in front of the sign illustrating the Olympic Mountains. No crow sitting on the sign today.
01.JPG

02.JPG

The waves were piling up driftwood on the beach.
03.JPG

In contrast, there was no wind at Olympic Beach and the water was quite still.
04.JPG

One of the highest tides I have ever seen, as evidenced by the water level inside the marina.
05.JPG

I was on the fishing pier for about an hour photographing birds. The wind and the waves eventually caught up with me.

Last edited:

Bill Anderson

Super Moderator
Staff member
The relatively snowless winter of 2014-2015 has been followed by the "California" summer of 2015 with a record number of warm, sunny days and little precipitation. This has resulted in the Olympic Mountains looking the barest for late summer/early fall that I recall seeing since I moved to Edmonds in 1991. Here are some photos I took from Haines Wharf Park in Edmonds on 9-27-15.

7D + 24-105L zoom, handheld.
01.JPG

7DII + 500L telephoto + 2x teleconverter (35mm equivalent of 1600mm), tripod mounted. I had to tweek these photos in Picasa to get rid of the haze.
02.JPG

03.JPG

04.JPG

05.JPG

Bill Anderson

Super Moderator
Staff member
Some shots of Tuesday afternoon's (1-26-16) rainbow over Puget Sound.

Taken at Brackett's Landing with the 5DIII + 100-400L II telephoto zoom.
01.JPG

Taken with the 5DIII + 17-35L wide-angle zoom.
02.JPG

Look closely at the left side of the photo and you can see the flock of dunlin that was swarming over the underwater dive park.
04.JPG

05.JPG

Last edited:

Terry O

Super, Bill. Did you pick up the pot of gold setting on the Brackett's landing rockery?

Terry

Bill Anderson

Super Moderator
Staff member
Tuesday's (12-6-16) sunset from Marina Park. This is the earliest (4:16pm PST) and farthest south the sun will set through the first day of winter. Photography was tricky as it was cold and windy plus I was also trying to get shots of the eagles soaring overhead at the same time.

Looking south. Pt. Wells is on the left.
IMG_0001.jpg

IMG_0004.jpg

IMG_0002.jpg

Last edited:
Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website (Learn More Here)

PNWPhotos.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com