Sunsets of Edmonds, WA.

PNWPhotos.com a friendly and growing community of photographers with an interest in the Pacific Northwest region. We feature a Photography Discussion Forum and Pacific Northwest Photo Gallery. It's a fun and friendly place to talk with other photographers, ask questions, share you knowledge, view and post photos and more!

If only there was a good quality power line filter available... Would be extremely useful in train photography, too. :rolleyes:

Thursday (11/14) Terry, my son Daren, and I were photographing birds at the Edmonds marsh. The sky held forth the possibility of a pretty sunset, so we drove over to nearby Marina Beach and set up our cameras. The sunset was a dud, but I got a nice shot looking south down Puget Sound.

5D Mk III/17-35L wide angle zoom, tripod mounted, HDR mode
01.JPG

Last edited:
Wednesday (11/20) was clear and crisp with a nice sunset. The sun is setting early (4:27pm PST) south of the Olympic Mountains. These were taken from Marina Beach.

5D Mk III/17-35L zoom, HDR mode, tripod mounted

Kingston-Edmonds ferry on the right.
01.JPG

02.JPG

03.JPG

7D/100-400L zoom, handheld
A gull passed by after sunset.....
04.JPG

as did a Coast Guard ship.
05.JPG

Some shots from Marina Beach on Wednesday (12/11). This is the earliest and farthest south the sun will set at my latitude through the first day of winter.

Setting sun reflecting off the upper deck windows of the Edmonds-Kingston ferry
01.JPG

commercial fishing boat
02.JPG

cormorants, professional fishermen in the own right
03.JPG

pleasure fishing boat
04.JPG

great blue heron, another professional fisherman
05.JPG

Last edited:
The 4:16pm southern most sunsets will continue through the first day of winter. On Monday (12/16) I took advantage of this to take some sunset shots from the #1 viewing platform of the marsh.

Looking southwest across the tracks to the boat storage racks at the south end of the marina.
01.JPG

I moved to Sunset Ave. for afterset shots. A train of three Boeing 737 fuselages being delivered from Kansas to Renton was stopped below Sunset Ave. to wait for the evening northbound parade of passenger trains.
02.JPG

Looking southwest.
03.JPG

Looking west.
04.JPG

Wide-angle shot of the area.
05.JPG

Last edited:
The 4:30pm Seattle-Everett Sounder was about seven minutes late.
03.JPG

I positioned myself to get some artsy shots of the 5:00pm Sounder passing the Boeing train.
05.JPG

I heard a whistle, but it was that of a northbound freight which had been switching tank cars at the Richmond Beach tank farm.
06.JPG

07.JPG

One engine is positioned at each end of the cut of tank cars to make switching easier.
08.JPG

Last edited:
Monday's (12/23) sunset at Marina Beach. The sun has started its northern journey up the Olympic Penninsula.

7D + 17-35L wide angle zoom

01.JPG

02.JPG

03.JPG

04.JPG

05.JPG

i see we looked at the sky this afternoon and had about the same thought, Bill! i went down to Waterfront Park in Mukilteo for the sunset tonite...

i see we looked at the sky this afternoon and had about the same thought, Bill! i went down to Waterfront Park in Mukilteo for the sunset tonite...

I saw the photo you posted up. Very nice. I think you had the better angle.

Last edited:
I have laid off sunset shots this fall and winter as I felt my 4-5 years' worth of photos were all starting to look alike. I was at Marina Park Wednesday (1/15) photographing birds and stayed for the sunset. No HDR, just my handheld 5D Mk III + 100-400L telephoto + 1.4x teleconverter. I was shooting in M mode at 200 ISO so I could play with the exposure levels using the shutter speed and aperature settings.

01.JPG

02.JPG

03.JPG

04.JPG

05.JPG

Last edited:
I like the last two shots the best, Bill. I wondered if there might be a nice sunset this evening. Looks like there was :)

Last edited:
I like the last two shots the best, Bill. I wondered if there might be a nice sunset this evening. Looks like these was :)

Between our two visits to Marina Park today, Daren and I ran into everyone except you: Young Dave, Ettie, Janine, Jerome, and a guy who recognized me and wanted to buy prints of my photos of the Hutt Park eagle pair.

I wanted to be there, Bill, trust me! I'll be out and about tomorrow for sure, doing my job chasing all the interesting birds away :) I might get up early and brave the fog and cold and go to Shadow Lake
to see what the Swans are doing first thing in the AM. I may change my mind when it actually comes to doing it though....

I wanted to be there, Bill, trust me! I'll be out and about tomorrow for sure, doing my job chasing all the interesting birds away :) I might get up early and brave the fog and cold and go to Shadow Lake
to see what the Swans are doing first thing in the AM. I may change my mind when it actually comes to doing it though....

Janine told me she is off work Thursday (1/16). She will park her big, bright-red Chevy four-door pickup (a red-neck's dream mobile home) at Marina Beach before dawn (about 7:30am) to look for orcas, eagles, water fowl, etc. I am tempted to join her if I can get up that early.

Last edited:
Sunday night (1/26) sunset from Marina Park.

An interesting preset which might be titled The Eye of God.
01.JPG

Sunset reflecting off the tops of the waves.
02.JPG

03.JPG

The "fin" in the lower right corner is the flipper of a sea lion floating on its back and relaxing.
04.JPG

I positioned myself to get the sea lion in the reflected sunlight.
05.JPG

Last edited:
Closeups of the sea lion in the reflection.
06.JPG

07.JPG

The sea lion continued to float south out of the reflection.
08.JPG

And the sun sets behind the clouds beyond the Kitsap Peninsula.
09.JPG

Last edited:
Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website (Learn More Here)

PNWPhotos.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

Back