Sunsets of Edmonds, WA.

PNWPhotos.com a friendly and growing community of photographers with an interest in the Pacific Northwest region. We feature a Photography Discussion Forum and Pacific Northwest Photo Gallery. It's a fun and friendly place to talk with other photographers, ask questions, share you knowledge, view and post photos and more!

Bill Anderson

Super Moderator
Staff member
I take sunset photos in various locations along Puget Sound in Edmonds, WA. The location varies with the season as the sunset travels up and down the Olympic Penninsula throughout the year. I'll post them on this thread rather than start a new one each day I am out.

It has been a very wet autumn and winter, which has resulted in very few sunsets. Here are photos of the last good sunset, taken Friday (1/25/13) from the jetty at Brackett's Landing.

Question: I have several Canon cameras and lenses. Are you the viewers interested in the specific cameras and lenses I used to take the photos, or would you rather I don't bother posting that info?

5D Mk III + 24-105L wide angle zoom using the HDR feature.
01.JPG

02.JPG

03.JPG

05.JPG

7D + 100-400L telephoto zoom (no HDR)
04.JPG

Edit: I'm sorry the photos are out of order. I attached them in sequence, but they were posted up in random order.

Edit by Bob: I think I've fixed that now. Waiting for Bill to verify I get the sequence right.

More Edit by Bill: Thanks Bob. I figured out how to attach the photos in sequence and insert text. And yes, you did get them in order. I moved the last one out of order as I took it with a different camera and lens than the others.

Last edited:

BobH

Administrator
Staff member
Bill, I've gone in and edited your post to show the images inline using the

Last edited:

BobH

Administrator
Staff member
Question: I have several Canon cameras and lenses. Are you the viewers interested in the specific cameras and lenses I used to take the photos, or would you rather I don't bother posting that info?

Tell us the info when you think it will be informative. For example, in this sequence, you've provided a nice comparison of what the various lenses and setting will do. So that's good info and worth posting.

If you're shooting in broad daylight at 70 mm and f8, then it's probably not as important, unless you've done it in a way that's unusual, for example using a telephoto for portrait work.

Bill Anderson

Super Moderator
Staff member
Rain was predicted for Thursday (2/7/13), but it turned out to be a sunny day instead. My son and I went to the north end of Marina Park to take our first sunset shots in ages.

I found a large piece of driftwood to add something to the foreground.
01.JPG

Then I recruited Daren to stand on the beach to add something more to the foreground.
02.JPG

Going...
03.JPG

Going...
04.JPG

Gone.
05.JPG

Last edited:

Bill Anderson

Super Moderator
Staff member
This winter's weather has been such that my next opportunity for sunset shots was not until eight days later. Friday (2/15/13) was sunny and warm, although it cooled off rapidly up on Sunset Ave. as the sun went down and the wind picked up.

Preset: Edmonds-Kingston ferry and the 4:30pm Seattle-Everett Sounder. 5D mk III + 24-105L zoom, tripod mount
01.JPG

Sunset: Same equipment using the camera's HDR feature on natural setting.
02.JPG

03.JPG

04.JPG

Afterset: Same equipment using the camera's HDR feature on art bold (aka: full psychedelic) setting. This is for members too young to have experienced the 60's and those who experienced the 60's all too well and cannot remember the decade
05.JPG

Last edited:

Bill Anderson

Super Moderator
Staff member
Sunsets have been few and far between up here since last summer. We had a beautiful one on Easter Sunday, which was also the final day of March. My daughter and son-in-law were over for Easter dinner, so I didn't get to break free until the last minute. I knew every parking spot on Sunset Ave. would be taken, so I headed for my backup spot farther north on Ocean Ave.

Compare the location of the sunset in these photos to those I took in January and February.
01.JPG

The sun is over halfway through its annual journey north.
02.JPG

Amtrak's evening Vancouver, BC bound Cascade just missed the sunset by a minute or two.
03.JPG

04.JPG

A southbound freight rolled by after the Cascade had passed.
05.JPG

Last edited:

Terry O

I particularly like the last shot, Bill. The da-glow makes for an interesting contrast to the water and sunset.

Bill Anderson

Super Moderator
Staff member
I particularly like the last shot, Bill. The da-glow makes for an interesting contrast to the water and sunset.

The "da-glow" is actually reflective tape called "Scotch-Lite", which is put on the engines as a safety measure to reflect the light of automoble headlights at grade crossings. It also works well on clothing, such as your bicycle riding apparel. :D
http://solutions.3m.com/wps/portal/3M/en_US/ScotchliteReflectiveMaterial/Scotchlite/

The reflection can enhance or ruin a flash photograph of a train. Someone on another forum came up with a way to minimize it, which may be worth my exploring.
http://www.railroadforums.com/forum/showthread.php?t=42783

Last edited:

Bill Anderson

Super Moderator
Staff member
Our "spring" weather has not been conducive to sunsets and for the past month I have spent evenings hunting the elusive barred owls of Yost Park. Sunday (6/2/13) my aunt and uncle invited my family and me over to their house for dinner. They live in the Emerald Hills development of the Edmonds Bowl and have a beautiful view of Puget Sound from their back deck. I took along my photo equipment to get some shots after dinner.

It is now June. In addition to our longest days of the year, we will witness the farthest north the sun will set over the Olympic Peninsula.

5D Mk III in HDR mode + 24-105L medium zoom
01.JPG

02.JPG

03.JPG

04.JPG

05.JPG

Last edited:

Bill Anderson

Super Moderator
Staff member
Between the weather and evening owl hunts at Yost Park, I have not taken many sunset shots this year. From my back deck it looked like Wednesday (6/5/13) evening was shaping up for a nice sunset, so I drove down to Sunset Ave.

7D + 24-105L medium zoom, tripod mounted.
Sunset + Caspian terns.
01.JPG

02.JPG

Sunset + passing train.
03.JPG

04.JPG

Afterset panorama.
05.JPG

Last edited:

Bill Anderson

Super Moderator
Staff member
Thursday (6/27/13) my son and I emerged from Yost Park after an evening of owl hunting just in time to catch the sunset from 12th Ave. in the Emerald Hills neighborhood of Edmonds. At 9:12pm PDT, the sun is setting at its latest and farthest north. Pretty soon it will begin its journey back south along the Olympic Peninsula.

01.JPG

02.JPG

03.JPG

04.JPG

05.JPG

Last edited:

Terry O

It was spectacular from our place too, Bill, but I was too lazy to get the camera set up. Nice work.

Bill Anderson

Super Moderator
Staff member
Tuesday (7/2/13) I drove up to one of the viewpoints on Pine St. by the Pt. Edwards condos. There is a limited window in which I can take sunset photos from the viewpoint before the sunset moves so far south that it is blocked by the condos. Now that the sun is setting earlier and farther south, I need to take advantage of that window.

5D Mk III + 24-105L zoom, tripod mount, HDR mode.
01.JPG

02.JPG

03.JPG

7D + 100-400L zoom, tripod mount, circular polarizing filter.
04.JPG

05.JPG

Last edited:

Bill Anderson

Super Moderator
Staff member
My aunt and uncle invited me over to their house to photograph our town's annual Fourth of July fireworks show from their back deck. I got there just in time to photograph the sunset as well.

5D Mk III + 24-105L zoom.
01.JPG

02.JPG

03.JPG

Afterset.
7D + 100-400L zoom.
04.JPG

05.JPG

Last edited:
Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website (Learn More Here)

PNWPhotos.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com