Swallow-tailed Gull at Carkeek Park

PNWPhotos.com a friendly and growing community of photographers with an interest in the Pacific Northwest region. We feature a Photography Discussion Forum and Pacific Northwest Photo Gallery. It's a fun and friendly place to talk with other photographers, ask questions, share you knowledge, view and post photos and more!

cavuken

A Swallow-tailed Gull was found this morning by Ryan Merrill at Carkeek Park. This is an extremely rare gull with only two other sightings in the ABA area (California) and the first ever sighting in Washington. I rushed down to see it and managed a few poor shots in the fog and rain.

FZ7B0589.jpg

FZ7B0670.jpg

FZ7B0747.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

fiznatty

Very cool. I've photographed them in the Galapagos over the years. Here are a few shots from my 2015 trip.

gullswallowtailed011815galapagos2.jpg

gullswallowtailed011215galapagos10.jpg

(Juvenile)
gullswallowtailed011215galapagos6.jpg

A beautiful bird, and nocturnal to boot!

Max

squirl033

Super Moderator
Staff member
Good shots! I would love to have gotten down to Carkeek Park to see this rarity, but couldn't make it... maybe it'll reappear somewhere else in the area and I'll have a chance to see it...

Bill Anderson

Super Moderator
Staff member
Good shots! I would love to have gotten down to Carkeek Park to see this rarity, but couldn't make it... maybe it'll reappear somewhere else in the area and I'll have a chance to see it...

It was seen at the Richmond Beach tank farm Friday afternoon. You might check the Edmonds waterfront today and tonight. It is a nocturnal feeder and one theory is that it is feeding on squid, which are in season now.

squirl033

Super Moderator
Staff member
It was at the Everett Marina this afternoon around 4:45, but by the time I heard about it and got down there, it had moved out onto log boom about 400 yards away... :( A couple of people got some killer shots of it, though...

Bill Anderson

Super Moderator
Staff member
It was at the Everett Marina this afternoon around 4:45, but by the time I heard about it and got down there, it had moved out onto log boom about 400 yards away... :(

Then you had to settle for shots the rest of us usually take. ;) Shouldn't have been any problem with your 150-600 zoom. :cool:

Bill Anderson

Super Moderator
Staff member
Latest reporting (Sunday 9/3, 9:40am) has the gull at Kayu Kayu Ac Park Entrance, Richmond Beach, the same location as Friday afternoon.

Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website (Learn More Here)

PNWPhotos.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com