Touch the Sun

PNWPhotos.com a friendly and growing community of photographers with an interest in the Pacific Northwest region. We feature a Photography Discussion Forum and Pacific Northwest Photo Gallery. It's a fun and friendly place to talk with other photographers, ask questions, share you knowledge, view and post photos and more!

June Gloom has its grip on us. A wet and chilly start to June. R.J

Attachments

• Union Bay Osprey 119.JPG
    Union Bay Osprey 119.JPG
    91.3 KB · Views: 171
  • Union Bay Osprey 120.JPG
    Union Bay Osprey 120.JPG
    96.9 KB · Views: 185
  • Union Bay Osprey 121.JPG
    Union Bay Osprey 121.JPG
    119 KB · Views: 183
  • Union Bay Osprey 122.JPG
    Union Bay Osprey 122.JPG
    151.6 KB · Views: 184
It can be a challenge to go out and do any outdoor photography. I was and still am planning on picking up the Canon 100-400 II as a better low light lens. To get the reach of the Tamron, 600MM. I would have to use a TC and will it be any better than the Tamron lens?
R.J

It can be a challenge to go out and do any outdoor photography. I was and still am planning on picking up the Canon 100-400 II as a better low light lens. To get the reach of the Tamron, 600MM. I would have to use a TC and will it be any better than the Tamron lens?
R.J

My "walk & stalk" package is the Canon 100-400L II telephoto zoom + 1DxII. I very seldom use a teleconverter with it as it slows the auto focus too much for my liking, especially when photographing birds in flight.

What is your camera body? My cameras with full frame sensors (5DIII and 1DxII) handle low light (i.e. high ISO settings) much better than my 7DII, which has a 1.7x crop frame sensor. If you are using a camera body with a crop frame sensor, I suggest you first check out a model with a full frame sensor before looking for a new zoom lens. That may be a long term solution to your light problem. With a full frame sensor you should be able to get better photos with less noise when cropping, which will eliminate the need for a teleconverter.

Although Canon's 5DIV and 1DxII are their "latest & greatest" models with full frame sensors, the 5DIII is perfectly fine for nature photography. Terry and I both have one and we have no plans to upgrade to a Mark IV. Here are samples of Terry's photos:

I suggest you check Kenmore Camera's website for a used 5DIII once things settle down and the stores open up again. It may not have Canon's top of the line auto focus system like the 7DII, but Terry and I have taken plenty of birds in flight shots with ours and have no complaints.

Sorry I haven't gotten back to you.

I use both the Canon 5DIV and the 7DII. A camera that can AF, is what I live for. For birding. Between the two, the 7DII is the better camera body. No contest. I have both. The AF on the 7DII is the best I have ever used for birding. For some reason the 5DIV takes a extra millisecond to focus lock. Or will hunt. The AF systems are different. I don't know how people say the 7DII AF system is interior, to the 5D bodies. An all cross point AF. Any ways the 100-400 II would be nice walk about lens to have. R.J,

The 7DII auto focus system is definitely better than that of the 5D series. On the other hand, a full frame sensor camera like the 5D series handles high ISO settings better than a crop frame sensor camera like the 7DII. I have both. Which one I use depends on the lighting conditions and circumstances.

The 100-400L II telephoto zoom will be a good addition to your photo arsenal. Terry has the 5.6/400L telephoto, which I think is Canon's best bargain in a telephoto lens. I prefer the flexibility of a zoom in composing shots.

Last edited:
I do really like the sensor on the 5DIV. And have been working out ways of using it on birds in flight. The Osprey VS crow was with the 5D. Really poor light and in rain, I think the 100-400II would be great on both bodies. Yes I love zooms R.J

Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website (Learn More Here)

PNWPhotos.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

Back