Wildlife of Edmonds, WA. 2015

PNWPhotos.com a friendly and growing community of photographers with an interest in the Pacific Northwest region. We feature a Photography Discussion Forum and Pacific Northwest Photo Gallery. It's a fun and friendly place to talk with other photographers, ask questions, share you knowledge, view and post photos and more!

Earlier in the day I took some shots of a female adult kingfisher perched over Sprague Pond in Lynnwood's Mini Park.
01.JPG

02.JPG

Two kingfishers were chasing each other around the Edmonds marsh shortly before sunset. One perched on the snag and remained there for quite some time as though it were lost. Comparing it to the bird in the first two photos, I think it was a juvie that may have been chased away from the burrow by one of its parents.
03.JPG

04.JPG

05.JPG

Last edited:
Great sequences, Bill. Sorry I missed out on the Merlin - but on the other hand if I had been there..... :)

Since this is coot week on the forum, here are some shots of a coot from Monday (8/3) at Mini Park.

I was looking into the light, so I tried t get some artsy silhouette shots using the pond scum for contrast.
01.JPG

02.JPG

03.JPG

04.JPG

Tuesday (8/4) morning I went down to Sunset Ave. while Daren was working out at the gym.

One of Rocky's missing Caspian terns flew past.
01.JPG

Hundreds of gulls amassed out over the Sound and then flew south past Sunset Ave.
02.JPG

03.JPG

Some landed on the beach at Brackett's Landing north.
05.JPG

As you can see by the white wash, this was not the first gull to use the railroad signal as a rest stop.
04.JPG

Later in the day I made a stop at the marsh. I was eager to see how the auto focus system of my new 7DII worked on birds in flight.

Barn swallow. Very small and very fast.
06.JPG

Two kingfishers have been chasing each other over the marsh for the past several days. This male flew directly over me.
07.JPG

08.JPG

09.JPG

Thursday (8/6) I made a rare early morning visit to the marsh to kill an hour before a dental appointment. I was rewarded for my effort by a sighting of the green heron on the far south side of the marsh.
01.JPG

02.JPG

It flew to one of the telephone poles next to the railroad tracks.
03.JPG

04.JPG

05.JPG

I caught a glimpse of something landing in the grass which caused quite a stir among the shore birds. I immediately looked for a predator and got some butt shots of a Copper's hawk flying back towards the bushes which line Willow Creek.
01.JPG

02.JPG

03.JPG

Some of the shore birds present.
04.JPG

05.JPG

I returned to the marsh after lunch. The morning cloud layer had burned off and the bright sun made photography difficult. A birder on the #3 viewing platform pointed out two merlins perched in a tree next to Willow Creek. My shots were very poor due to the hat waves.

Back at the #2 platform I saw three evil minions of the Dark Lord chasing what appeared to be a fourth east across the marsh towards the trees that line the walkway. The attacks were quite fierce and the fourth crow was making strange sounds. I wondered what prompted these crows to behave so viciously toward one of their own.
01.JPG

The answer became apparent. The fourth "crow" was not a crow but a raven.
02.JPG

The crows were probably the ones that have juvies in that tree and were unrelenting in their attacks.
03.JPG

The raven was not happy about the situation either.
04.JPG

After much cawing from the crows and "groaking" from the raven, the raven took off northwest over town, showing its signature rear tail as it flew over me.
05.JPG

Ravens are not common in the urban areas of Puget Sound. I suspect that is due to the large crow population which does not welcome the presence of its larger corvid cousin.

Last edited:
Later that evening I returned to the marsh while my son played tennis. I had mentioned the earlier sighting of two merlins. This time I caught them perched in the trees along Willow creek during much more favorable lighting conditions. These shots were all taken with my 5DIII + 500L + 1.4x III teleconverter mounted on a tripod from a distance of about 400 yards.

Can you spot two merlins in the tree?
01.JPG

Does this help?
02.JPG

Close crops of the two birds.

The one on the right.
03.JPG

The one on the left.
04.JPG

Continued

Last edited:
The merlin on the right made a short flight over the marsh and returned to the tree while the one on the left remained perched.
05.JPG

06.JPG

07.JPG

08.JPG

09.JPG

As Paul Harvey would say, "And now for the rest of the story."

I was only tracking and photographing the merlin on the right side of the photos. I did not even see the merlin perched on the branch on the left side of the tree until after I downloaded the photos to my computer and began editing them.

Last edited:
I have not seen Wesley, the male Anna's hummingbird who guards the #1 viewing platform at the marsh, in quite some time. Friday (8/7) I photographed what looked like a young male perching near Wesley's usual spots. At times it was sparring with another hummer. I was experimenting with the autofocus of my 7DII and failed to get any good shots of that action.

I did get some photos of the young male hunting bugs by the tall evergreen next to the boardwalk.
01.JPG

02.JPG

Open wide.
03.JPG

04.JPG

Notice the bee in the lower left corner.
05.JPG

Last edited:
Sandpipers continue to visit the marsh during the fall migration. Most appear to be western or least sandpipers, our smallest. The easiest ID feature is the color of their legs: westerns have black legs, leasts' legs are yellow. Unfortunately, their legs are not always visible and wading in the mudflats of the marsh at low tide turns everyone's legs black.

A group of sandpipers was swarming, which gave me an opportunity to try some flight shots with my 7DII.
01.JPG

02.JPG

03.JPG

04.JPG

Sandpipers will swarm when startled by a predator. A birder with binos spotted one of the marsh merlins perched in a tree above Willow Creek on the south side of the marsh. This is where we have been seeing the merlins perch after they make a flight over the cattails looking for dragonflies.
05.JPG

Saturday evening (8/8) I caught sight of a female common yellowthroat in the mud flat closest to the #1 viewing platform of the marsh.
01.JPG

A baby marsh wren caught sight of the yellowthroat as well.
02.JPG

03.JPG

The marsh wren's feisty nature shows up at a young age as it chased the yellowthroat.
04.JPG
\
Back into observation mode.
05.JPG

Last edited:
A flock of bushtits flew into the marsh Sunday afternoon (8/9), flying back and forth between the cattails and the evergreens on opposite sides of the boardwalk.
01.JPG

Male bushtits have black eyes. The eyes of the females are a spooky pale yellow.
02.JPG

Something in the bullrushes interested them as well.
03.JPG

04.JPG

A black-capped chickadee was not letting the bushtits monopolize the show.
05.JPG

Last edited:
Earlier this summer on two separate occasions I photographed a Cooper's hawk following another raptor as it circled over town. Someone suggested the hawk may have a nest and babies nearby. I had heard of sightings of Cooper's hawks flying around City Park, so Monday (8/10) Daren and I checked out the park.

We were only out of the car a few minutes when we heard the characteristic screaming of juvie Cooper's hawks. The fledglings are at that stage when they call to each other and chase each other around their nesting territory. We saw two hawks and I got photos of one.

01.JPG

02.JPG

03.JPG

Later that afternoon I stopped at Ballinger Park in Mountlake Terrace while Daren played tennis. The park used to be a public golf course.

I parked by the fishing dock and heard a kingfisher chattering from a tall tree overhead.
01.JPG

After a trip to the fishing dock, I walked west to the pond where I had seen two green herons on a previous trip.

Cedar waxwing
02.JPG

Savannah sparrow
03.JPG

Red-winged blackbirds in flight.
04.JPG

Red-tailed hawk circling over the lake.
05.JPG

I walked back to the fishing dock where I caught a glimpse of something flying toward the pond. It vaguely resembled a green heron, so I walked back to the pond. Knowing how skittish green herons can be, I prepared myself for sudden grab shots.

The heron suddenly flew from the pond southwest towards the houses.
06.JPG

07.JPG

It made a dive somewhere near the shore of the lake.
08.JPG

An osprey on patrol over the lake. Probably one from the cell phone tower nest about a mile south near I-5.
09.JPG

The red-tailed hawk picked up a Copper's hawk "tail."
10.JPG

One of the marsh merlins was out hunting Wednesday (8/12) afternoon. It was perched on its usual spot, atop one of the dead tees nest to Willow Creek. A great blue heron was perched a little lower on the tree. All photos were taken with my 5DIII + 500L telephoto lens + 1.4x teleconverter. All but the first one are heavily cropped.

Spot the merlin?
01.JPG

Close cropping.
02.JPG

03.JPG

The merlin would perch for a few minutes, take off on a hunting foray, then return.
04.JPG

05.JPG

Last edited:
It is very hard tracking such a small, fast bird flying across the marsh with a 500L telephoto lens + 1.4x teleconverter, even if it is mounted on a good tripod.
06.JPG

07.JPG

The best chance of getting flight shots is to focus on the merlin perched on the tree, then shoot just as it takes off. Start shooting when the merlin stands up on its legs and starts bobbing up and down just prior to take off.
08.JPG

09.JPG

10.JPG

Continued

Last edited:
Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website (Learn More Here)

PNWPhotos.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

Back