Wildlife of Edmonds, WA. 2015

PNWPhotos.com a friendly and growing community of photographers with an interest in the Pacific Northwest region. We feature a Photography Discussion Forum and Pacific Northwest Photo Gallery. It's a fun and friendly place to talk with other photographers, ask questions, share you knowledge, view and post photos and more!

Four more shots from President's Day.

A red-tailed hawk and its crow-tourage have been circling over the Fish Hatchery for the past few days.
01.JPG

02.JPG

From my back yard. The kinglet was hunting for bugs while the chickadee was visiting my bird feeder.

Ruby-crowned kinglet.
03.JPG

Chestnut-backed chickadee.
04.JPG

Last edited:
Some birds from Pt. Edwards on Tuesday (2/17).

A hummer was hunting bugs over the walkway.
02.JPG

Taking a break.
01.JPG

A fox sparrow was hiding in the grass beside the walkway.
04.JPG

A red-tailed hawk has been hanging out at the marsh and Pt. Edwards. It was being harassed by evil minions of the Dark Lord as it circled over the condos.
03.JPG

Late that afternoon it was flying from tree to tree along Pine St. I assume it was hunting.
05.JPG

Last edited:
Terry and I caught the marina's resident female kingfisher Wednesday (2/18) morning perching and flying about the marina.

01.JPG

02.JPG

03.JPG

04.JPG

More from Wednesday:

Male common goldeneye
01.JPG

McInroe, the hummer who guards the #3 viewing platform at the marsh, perching on one of his favorite spots.
02.JPG

Horned grebes, one of Terry's favorite birds.
03.JPG

04.JPG

Three pigeon guillemots in breeding plumage.
05.JPG

Last edited:
Several of you "regulars" to this thread live in my area and shoot Canon, so I'll use the thread to get this word out to you.

I drop by Kenmore Camera once a month on the way to/from my son's doctor appointment in Bothell. During yesterday's visit (2/19) I noticed a lot of used Canon "big white" telephoto lenses for sale. According to one of the staff, two photographers recently upgraded their camera/lens systems and traded in their old lenses.

http://www.kenmorecamera.com/c-1748-used-canon-lenses-autofocus.aspx?pagenum=1

Included in the group is a 5.6/400L, which I think is Canon's best buy for a telephoto lens. Terry uses one for his walk & stalk photos. My weapon of choice, the first series 100-400L telephoto zoom, is listed as well.

Also included is a 4.0/500L telephoto for $5300, which I think is a good price considering a brand new series II 4.0/500L is $9500. I bought a used one from Kenmore last year and am very happy with it. You do need a heavy tripod and mount for it

All of Kenmore's used lenses have a 60 day warranty.

Last edited:
Friday (2/20) Wesley was doing what he does best: posing on the fence behind the #1 viewing platform of the marsh.

01.JPG

02.JPG

03.JPG

04.JPG

05.JPG

terrific shots, Bill! I've never seen a hummer spread its feathers out like that... do you know what he's doing? it's s'posed to be nice tomorrow - I may head down that way early afternoon...

Wesley spent several minutes grooming himself. I think the fanning of his tail feathers and the spreading of his wings are part of his grooming/stretching process.

After the blackberry brambles that once covered the fence behind the #1 viewing platform were removed, Wesley started perching on the strand of barb wire. He always wants to be the center of attention and will land very close to the viewing platform if he thinks you are spending too much time looking the opposite direction across the marsh for snipes or other birds.

I have seen Wesley perch so close to the boardwalk that you could nearly reach out and touch him. If it is a sunny day, start shooting at -1 exposure compensation when he flashes his bright red head feathers in order to keep from blowing them out. Check your photos in your viewing screen to see if you need to use even more negative exposure compensation.

I shot "straight on" as it was dark and overcast. The red head feathers were still slightly "blown out" as they reflected what little sunlight there was. Picasa's auto contrast feature saved the shot.
06.JPG

07.JPG

Last edited:
Snipes continue to hang out in the mudflat closest to the #1 viewing platform of the Edmonds marsh. They are easiest seen when they are on the far bank. Recently they have been on the near bank, where they are hidden by the foliage until they pass between two fence posts across a small, bare patch of mud.

Sunday (2/22) I just missed getting shots of one snipe running across the bare patch and another flying across.
01.JPG

Shots from Monday (2/23).

Backyard:
Brown Creeper on one of my Doug firs.
01.JPG

Steller's jay on my back deck.
02.JPG

Marsh:
Snipe below the fence post off the #1 viewing platfform.
03.JPG

Yost Park:
Pileated woodpeckers on a snag.
04.JPG

Female flicker in a hollow. A male was on the top of the snag.
05.JPG

Bill, you're getting some exceptional detail in the hummingbirds; That's not always an easy feat... Superb work!

Chad

I am fortunate in that Wesley is a real ham and will pose quite close to me. Sometimes he will be so close that I have to back off on my telephoto zoom.

Last edited:
Great shots at Yost - glad to see the Piliateds! Nice you have a Brown Creeper at your place!

My son and I went to the marsh Tuesday (2/24) afternoon. Wesley, the male Anna's hummingbird who guards the #1 viewing platform, put on quite a show.

Wesley did not like a song sparrow perching on his fence.
01.JPG

Staring down the song sparrow took some energy, so Wesley flew up to catch some bugs.
02.JPG

03.JPG

04.JPG

05.JPG

Last edited:
Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website (Learn More Here)

PNWPhotos.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

Back