Wildlife of Edmonds, WA. 2018

PNWPhotos.com a friendly and growing community of photographers with an interest in the Pacific Northwest region. We feature a Photography Discussion Forum and Pacific Northwest Photo Gallery. It's a fun and friendly place to talk with other photographers, ask questions, share you knowledge, view and post photos and more!

Bill Anderson

Super Moderator
Staff member
Continued from previous page.

Returning to the tree.

IMG_0006.jpg

IMG_0007.jpg

IMG_0008.jpg

IMG_0009.jpg

IMG_0010.jpg

Last edited:

Bill Anderson

Super Moderator
Staff member
It eventually came to the attention of a resident minion of the Dark Lord, which chased it across the marsh.

IMG_0011.jpg

IMG_0012.jpg

Best photo, highly tweaked.

IMG_0013.jpg

I believe the merlin had captured a dragonfly, the wings of which are barely visible behind the merlin's rump and beneath its tail feathers.

IMG_0014.jpg

The merlin shot past us very close. The best I could manage were some retreating butt shots as it flew towards the marina. You can make out what I believe are the dragonfly's legs sticking out from under the merlin.

IMG_0015.jpg

Bill Anderson

Super Moderator
Staff member
I had not set up my super telephoto package, so all of the above shots were taken with the 1Dx + 100-400L II telephoto zoom. Except for when the merlin was perched on the far tree, I doubt I could have followed it with the 500L telephoto + 2x III teleconverter.

Bill Anderson

Super Moderator
Staff member
The official residence of the Consul General of the Republic of Korea is near the nest of the Pt. Edwards eagles. While photographing the eagles Thursday afternoon (10-4-18), I caught a male Anna's hummingbird hunting bugs near the ROK national flag, which is always flying at the residence. Both of my children are adoptees from South Korea, so the photos have a special meaning for me.

IMG_0001.jpg

IMG_0002.jpg

IMG_0003.jpg

Bill Anderson

Super Moderator
Staff member
I do a quick scan of my close surroundings when I park at the marsh to make sure something is not perched on the nearby viewing platform or boardwalk. Saturday (10-6-18) afternoon I noticed something perched on the old martin gourd holder off the #2 (main) platform.

I initially thought it was one of the juvie Cooper's hawks that has been hanging around the marsh. Looking at my photos, I realized it was a female northern harrier.

01.jpg

It stayed perched long enough for me to set up the super telephoto package of 5DIII + 500L telephoto lens + 2x teleconverter mounted on a tripod.

02.jpg

03.jpg

The harrier looks like a cross between a hawk and an owl.

04.jpg

Last edited:

Bill Anderson

Super Moderator
Staff member
It took off......

05.jpg

06.jpg

and made several harrier type patrols low over the marsh. Tracking it was easier with the 1Dx + 100-400L II telephoto zoom.

07.jpg

08.jpg

09.jpg

I also saw two coyotes on the far side of the marsh, but my photos of them were not worth saving.

I see a harrier at the marsh once every year or two in the fall. I believe they are just passing through town on their way north , as I think the marsh is too small to support one over the winter. Somewhat surprising, harriers to not seem to draw the wrath of the crows like other raptors do.

Last edited:

Bill Anderson

Super Moderator
Staff member
I also saw my first of the season yellow-rumped warbler.

01.jpg

02.jpg

One member of a flock of goldfinches.

03.jpg

A lone western grebe was off the fishing pier.

04.jpg

A squadron of surf scoters was floating near the ferry dock. The winter visitors are beginning to arrive.

05.jpg

Bill Anderson

Super Moderator
Staff member
Monday's birding (10-8-18) started in my backyard with a red-breasted sapsucker, a first for my backyard. It poked around the seed feeder while looking longingly at the suet feeder, which was occupied by a flicker.

01.jpg

It flew over to the suet feeder after the flicker left.

02.jpg

03.jpg

A wet marsh was in the foliage under the #3 viewing platform at the marsh.

04.jpg

This heron looked rather gloomy at the marina.

05.jpg

Bill Anderson

Super Moderator
Staff member
Birds at the marsh Friday afternoon (10-12-18).

A few yellow-rumped warblers will spend winter at the marsh. They are easily recognizable by their distinctive yellow "bibs" and signature yellow rumps.

IMG_0001.jpg

A great blue heron took off toward the marina.

IMG_0002.jpg

Black-eyed juncos are here year round and frequent diners at my home feeders.

IMG_0003.jpg

Wesley or his successor was hunting bugs in the fir trees near the #1 viewing platform.

IMG_0004.jpg

IMG_0005.jpg

Bill Anderson

Super Moderator
Staff member
Wesley continued snacking on bugs Saturday afternoon (10-13-18). Hummers get much protein from eating small insects.

IMG_0001.jpg

IMG_0002.jpg

IMG_0003.jpg

IMG_0004.jpg

IMG_0005.jpg

Bill Anderson

Super Moderator
Staff member
This year herons began perching in the trees that line the walkway between the #2 and #3 viewing platforms. With the leaves starting to fall, they are now visible from the boardwalk.

IMG_0001.jpg

IMG_0002.jpg

IMG_0003.jpg

Bill Anderson

Super Moderator
Staff member
A local birder spotted a northern shrike while I was at the marsh Sunday afternoon (10-14-18). I wonder if it was the same bird that was seen a week ago.

IMG_0001.jpg

IMG_0002.jpg

IMG_0003.jpg

Bill Anderson

Super Moderator
Staff member
It coughed up a pellet while perched on the old martin gourd holder. While behavior is usually associated with owls, it is common to all birds of prey. Sorry for the poor shots. I was too lazy to drag out the 500L telephoto and tripod and I should have been shooting these using negative exposure compensation due to the low sun.

IMG_0004.jpg

IMG_0005.jpg

IMG_0006.jpg

A small flock of shorebirds flew up from the south side of the marsh and headed north. I thought they were all killdeer and focused on the lead bird. After viewing my photos on the computer, I discovered that at least one of the birds was a different species.

IMG_0001.jpg

Guesses as to its ID are welcome.

IMG_0002.jpg

Last edited:

Bill Anderson

Super Moderator
Staff member
Monday afternoon (10-15-18) a birder/photographer friend found a pair of black turnstones foraging along the marina breakwater off the fishing pier.

IMG_0001.jpg

IMG_0002.jpg

Bill Anderson

Super Moderator
Staff member
Some speculated that Sunday's mystery sandpiper might be a pectoral sandpiper. Tuesday (10-16-18) two of us found a sandpiper at the marsh that might be a pectoral. Unfortunately for photographers, our California summer has transitioned into an Indian summer with bright, sunny days continuing to make photography at the marsh difficult.

From the #2 (main) viewing platform.

IMG_0001.jpg

From the walkway between the #2 and #3 viewing platforms. A pair of western (?) sandpipers among the killdeer.

IMG_0002.jpg

Photography from the #3 viewing platform by the outdoor tennis courts was a little easier.

Pectoral (?) sandpiper.

IMG_0003.jpg

Western sandpiper.

IMG_0004.jpg

Bill Anderson

Super Moderator
Staff member
A local birder spotted the northern shrike on a tree bordering Willow Creek late Sunday afternoon (10-21-18) shortly before sunset. I am assuming it is the same bird I photographed a week ago as I do not see shrikes at the marsh with any degree of regularity.

IMG_0001.jpg

IMG_0002.jpg

Bill Anderson

Super Moderator
Staff member
Some shots from Monday (10-22-18).

The pair of spotted towhees continues to hang out in the vicinity of the #2 viewing platform at the marsh.

IMG_0001.jpg

IMG_0002.jpg

As does Wesley or his successor.

IMG_0003.jpg

The crows helped me locate one of the resident barred owls of Pine Ridge Park.

Yawn for the camera.

IMG_0004.jpg

IMG_0005.jpg

Last edited:
Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website (Learn More Here)

PNWPhotos.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com