Wldlife of Edmonds, WA. 2014

PNWPhotos.com a friendly and growing community of photographers with an interest in the Pacific Northwest region. We feature a Photography Discussion Forum and Pacific Northwest Photo Gallery. It's a fun and friendly place to talk with other photographers, ask questions, share you knowledge, view and post photos and more!

Trips on Saturday (10/18) to the Edmonds marsh and Lake Ballinger park in nearby Mountlake Terrace yielded a ton of photos as several of my favorite birds were present.

Once again a snipe was present at the marsh across from the #1 viewing platform. Passing birds did not bother it.
01.JPG

02.JPG

Unlike in the past, the snipe was out in the open and remained there for over an hour as it alternated between feeding and resting. Can you find it in this photo?
03.JPG

Competing for attention behind me were Wesley and a friend or two.
04.JPG

Last edited:
After lunch I walked around Lake Ballinger Park while my son was playing tennis. The park is an old public golf course which has been closed.

A juvie Cooper's hawk perched on a fence at the southwest corner of the park which borders lakefront houses.
05.JPG

Female hooded merganser.
06.JPG

A male and female kingfisher were raising quite a racket chasing each other. Here are a few of the photos I took of the two.
07.JPG

08.JPG

I caught the male shaking off water in mid flight after a dive in the lake.
09.JPG

Sunday afternoon (10/19) two mystery shorebirds were present at the marsh. Taken with the 5DIII + 500L telephoto + 2x teleconverter using a tripod.

I thought they were dowitchers while I was photographing them, but changed my mind when I got home and studied the photos on the computer. The end of the bill is the wrong shape for a dowitcher and the legs appear black, although that may just be mud. The black legs and white underside is quite distinctive. The bill looks too long for dunlin and western sandpipers.
01.JPG

02.JPG

03.JPG

Nearby killdeer for a size comparison.
04.JPG

A poor inflight shot which does show the color of the underside of the wing.
05.JPG

Update: I have received one vote for the mystery sandpipers being dunlin.

Last edited:
Monday (10/20/14) the mystery sandpipers were present once again at the marsh. So far the majority of votes from local birders who have seen the photos are for dunlin in winter (non-mating) plumage.
01.JPG

The sandpipers took off when something small and fast flew over the marsh. Based on its size, manner of flight and this Sasquatch shot; I think it was a merlin.
02.JPG

A few minutes later I spotted a lesser(?) yellowlegs.
03.JPG

04.JPG

05.JPG

Last edited:
A flight shot of the yellowlegs for those who use them to identify birds.
06.JPG

One of my favorite winter migrants, the male green-winged teal, swam close to the #1 viewing platform.
07.JPG

After a drive up Pt. Edwards, we moved to the marina, where we found a rhinocerous auklet and two common murres in the water below the fishing pier.

Rhinocerous auklet.
08.JPG

Common murre.
09.JPG

10.JPG

Last edited:
I mentioned that we drove to Pt. Edwards. I spotted a red-tailed hawk perched high in the raptor tree on the fish hatchery grounds as we were driving back down Pine St.
01.JPG

Knowing that red-tails are shy, I pulled over at the bottom of the hill and took these shots from inside my car.
02.JPG

03.JPG

04.JPG

05.JPG

Last edited:
Wednesday afternoon (10/22/14) I saw Janine on Sunset Ave. Janine reported that a pod of orcas was swimming north up the Sound. I got some shots of one breach and one briefly surfacing.

01.JPG

02.JPG

03.JPG

04.JPG

05.JPG

Good idea, Bill...here are a couple of 'warm up' shots from Tuesday. The wilds of my feeder area. Taken from my car window as I was returning from my outing with you and Daren at the marsh. 400 f5.6L and 7D.

Steller's Jay - Mood Indigo

10-21-2014 Mood Indigo_0409.JPG

10-21-2014 Mood Indigo_0413.JPG

Dark-eyed Junco

10-21-2014 fm dark-eyed Junco_0364.JPG

Golden-crowned Sparrow

10-21-2014 golden-crowned Sparrow_0368.JPG

I made two trips to the marsh Thursday (10-23-14) looking for autumn/winter migrants. It had rained the day before, so I thought the water level might be higher than usual. I also wanted to check out the marsh further in light of a recent Edmonds City Council decision regarding buffer zone bordering the marsh.
http://myedmondsnews.com/2014/10/co...-to-senior-center-negotiations-on-land-lease/

A large flock of American wigeons was in the water at the far south side of the marsh. Once again my quest for an elusive Eurasian wigeon came up empty.
01.JPG

For reasons unknown, an evil minion of the Dark Lord impersonated a hawk and buzzed one of the wigeons.
02.JPG

Things got crowded when the wigeons were joined by a flock of Canada geese.
03.JPG

Four sandpipers were present. They look like the ones I have been seeing for the past week, which have been identified by birders as dunlin.
04.JPG

They came a little closer so I did not have to drag out the tripod and 500L telephoto.
05.JPG

Last edited:
Friday (10/24) was a busy day at Marina Beach. In addition to numerous photos I took of the Pt. Edwards eagles (see eagle thread), I snapped photos of a group (school? pod?) of harbor porpoises hunting in the Sound.

We never saw the porpoises breach. They would remain under water, come up briefly for air, and dive again. We counted at least five.
01.JPG

02.JPG

03.JPG

04.JPG

05.JPG

After the eagles vacated the piling off Marina Beach, a male kingfisher used it as a platform for dives.

Shaking off the water.
01.JPG

02.JPG

03.JPG

Headed back out.
04.JPG

05.JPG

Last edited:
Dunlins continue to frequent the marsh.
01.JPG

02.JPG

It can be difficult to distinguish a common murre from a pigeon guillemot in transition plumage. Both birds floating near each other off the fishing pier offered a good comparison.
03.JPG

The common murre diving. Like many diving birds, the murre's rear legs are positioned near the rear of its body. This makes for efficient swimming but awkward walking.
04.JPG

Rhinocerous auklet.
05.JPG

Last edited:
Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website (Learn More Here)

PNWPhotos.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

Back